I am very sorry for the newbie questions and doubts.
Due to my VPN provider I need to move from the Bufalo factory branded DD-WRT version 23709c to something 26XXX or newer on my WZR-1750DHPD. Hence, I need to switch to a community built DD-WRT (version 23709c is the newest DD-WRT built provided by Buffalo for my WZR-1750DHPD).
Can someone confirm what is the correct sequence of steps to do the switch from the Buffalo to the Community DD-WRT?
After reviewing the following thread: http://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=23045.0
, and spending some time searching on google, I believe this would be:
On the Buffalo branded DD-WRT
1. Perform a reset on the router holding the reset button down for 30 seconds, and then release
2. Log in the buffalo dd-wrt web gui
3. In the buffalo DDWRT, select "reset to default settings", then upload "factory-to-dd-wrt.bin", click "upgrade"
4. Give this at least 10 minutes for the upgrade/reboot to complete.
On the factory-to-dd-wrt
5. Log in the factory-to-dd-wrt web gui
6. Go to Administration > Factory Defaults and select to "restore to factory defaults" again wait at least 3 minutes
7. In the factory-to-dd-wrt, select "reset to default settings", then upload "buffalo-wzr-1750dhp-webflash.bin", click "upgrade"
8. Give this at least 10 minutes for the upgrade/reboot to complete.
9. Log in the community dd-wrt web gui
10. Go to Administration > Factory Defaults and select to "restore to factory defaults" again wait at least 3 minutes
Then, I should be able to login and configure the router as I need.
I have the following doubts:
1. As my WZR-1750DHPD is already running DD-WRT, do I really need to go through the factory-to-dd-wrt.bin step?
2. Do I need to do a 30/30/30 before and/or after the Buffalo branded DD-WRT steps above?
3. Do I need to do a 30/30/30 before and/or after the factory-to-dd-wrt steps above?
As there appear to be no harm on the factory-to-dd-wrt.bin step, I am just thinking of doing it even if it is not necessary.
My doubt/concern on the 30/30/30 reset is that the instructions for going from Buffalo branded to Community DD-WRT for the WZR-HP-AG300H do not require it: http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WZR-HP-AG300H
. And the explanation on the 30/30/30 instructions says that for some hardware it can have "unpleasant results": https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Reset_And_Reboot
. Except for that statement, my understanding is that I should perform the 30/30/30 reset before and after all firmware updates. Can anyone provide some experience/guidance here?
My apologies again if my doubts are just too basic, but I would really appreciate if anyone can help me out confirming my steps and answering my doubts.