Author Topic: Disable creation of thumbnail folders  (Read 8301 times)

cobalt

• Calf
Disable creation of thumbnail folders
« on: December 25, 2016, 02:24:21 AM »
Is there some way I can disable the Linkstation's bad habit to auto create thumbnail folders for my images? '.webaxs_L' and so on. I have quite a lot of pictures stored, and vould like the file system to be "clean".

VangaMange

• Calf
Re: Disable creation of thumbnail folders
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 02:10:54 PM »
Have you found a solution to this, I have the exact same problem. I dont need million of thumbnails on all my images.

VangaMange

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 05:51:22 AM »
Apparently there is, according to Buffalo support personal, no way to disable this, it is a built in feature in webaccess so the NAS do not have to recreate thumbnails every time it is being accessed via 4G connection.
And in my case that is crazy, it generates 150.000 files on my NAS and about 145 GB data on the disk.

I miss my old NAS (also a Buffalo).

Strip

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 03:04:44 PM »
Solution to this?

I need to sync folders between my server(s) and my 520, but thousands of thumbnails makes this operation impossible.
My 520 is totally useless because of this... "feature"? :(

Sventroy

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 02:11:24 AM »
Any chance that you found a solution for this?

Also, do we know if the system 'recreates' these files if we delete them? Does it recreate them upon use of the files? Upon webaccess of the files? I could maybe write a script to delete them...but I would hate to have to run it daily. I could just run it right before a big copy maybe. Or maybe I am breaking a lot by deleting them...who knows.

My problem is related to the same hidden files. I don't do backups of my NAS, like you, but I do large photo folder copies from time to time that seem to grab these danged hidden thumbnail files.

Anytime I want to copy a folder of photos, it copies 7-8 times as many files as there are photos (they have them in .webview, .webaxs_L, _LL, _3L, _M, _S, and .thumbnail hidden folders. WTH Buffalo?!). These thumbnail files are small...but they add up. And when doing backups or copies, often total number of files is the speed limiter. Thousands of mini files that add up to 10gb take infinitely longer to copy than 10gb of 1gb files. Now if buffalo was smart and stored them in a system container rather than the actual file containers, then we would have less issues. A. you wouldn't have to deal with them on the daily with copies and backups, and B. you could just go delete a single large 'temp' file type directory full of these hidden thumbnail folders.

Last comment - I can only assume the system leaves remnant files as well in these thumbnail folders when I delete photos...

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 09:08:42 AM »
thumbs disabling on ls500 serie

update-rc.d -f thumb-daemon remove

from
http://forum.nas-hilfe.de/buffalo-linkstation-pro-duo/ls520de-erfahrungen-ssh-backup-transmissionkennwort-thumbs-t2708.html?hilit=minibilder

on ls400 serie rename /usr/local/webaxs/sbin/init_thumbnaild.sh
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:53:41 AM by oxygen8 »

mihaiandreibdg@gmail.com

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 01:00:34 PM »
Hi all,

I have the same issue and I went crazy about that. I paid good money for that LS only to find out the backups are taking ages.
Instead of tampering the firmware, I found an alternative backup solution using NovaBackup that is going to be temporary.
NovaBackup has in the backup settings a way to exclude the files you do not want. In the backup job settings, add  *.JPG.jpg   in the wildcard field. Also select exclude hidden files and make sure you have no hidden files or pictures.
That will make sure to skip the thumbnail files. I have tried that and you can still see the thumbnail files inside the backup but they are not valid files. They should have the extension .locked or something similar. Anyway, when starting the backup, you should see only half of the files in counting.
I am still waiting for the support team to enable the feature to disable the automatic thumbnail creation.

miltellas

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 08:37:51 PM »
Buffalo cant or do not want to give solution to this for not understanding reasons.
This "feature" is a nightmare... more like a bad joke. Definitely is a filesystem mess (try to rename, move and copy a media file and see what is happening in the folders) and a harddisk lifespan killer together. That Linkstation LS500 is a bad choice for a family simple and common network attached storage that do not really need "features" specially without a choice to disable them. And if you made a mistake (as many do to save some money) and put an non-nas hdd inside, it will be like 10yo in a year.
Only viable solution to this is to go heavy on money and trash this Linkstation LS500 ordering a Home NAS Station from another company, at least with better support. Maybe one of my worst choices, I wont come back, at least anytime soon. The main reason I didnt trashed it from the start and I prefered to be patient for more than one year is that it wasnt a gift to me and didnt have the money to do it earlier, so I had to live with that having some faith for an official easy solution.

A command line solution from a user mentioned above wasnt understandable at all for me. I tried but not enough info on the Internet. Couldnt find a way to use these commands on any of my windows 10 pcs. Linux maybe?

oxygen8

• El Toro
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 12:24:03 PM »
If anybody not understand how to use commands on the ls520

1) open ssh http://oxygen8.bplaced.net/ssh_LS500.htm
2) connect with putty
3) start the command to disable thumbnail creation

Code: [Select]

oxygen8

• El Toro
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 05:20:34 AM »
Do you understand my howto?

cyberbob2021

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 09:14:38 AM »
Yes it worked perfectly for me. & stopped the creation of thumbnails, Thank you for putting git out there

If anybody not understand how to use commands on the ls520

1) open ssh http://oxygen8.bplaced.net/ssh_LS500.htm
2) connect with putty
3) start the command to disable thumbnail creation

Code: [Select]

DavecUK

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2021, 01:48:51 PM »
Thank god I found this, it was driving me nuts and made it impossible to back up the NAS with literally 400,000+ tiny files, perhaps more, each one occupying a whole cluster, no matter how small the file. Just deleting them all is taking forever.

I'm completely baffled as to why they thought making it impossible to turn off was a good idea, when it should have been off by default and only enabled on a directory by directory basis as user choice....
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 06:31:24 AM by DavecUK »

john-r

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2022, 08:58:02 AM »
Thank you oxygen8! These thumbnail folders have been driving me NUTS!