Author Topic: Linkstation Pro duo drops offline  (Read 9700 times)

sargepepper

• Calf
Linkstation Pro duo drops offline
« on: October 29, 2008, 01:26:11 PM »

Hello,

I am actually on my second Linkstation now, after havinf the first replaced for the same problem I am now having with the new one.

I have the Linkstation Pro duo set up as a 500GB RAID 1 NAS drive. I have set it to a static IP on my network. Access is via router. 

The problem is that some time after I power it up, the drive becomes inaccessible.  Shares cannot be found, the UI cannot be reached.  the power button doesn't do a thing.  At this point the only thing I've found that works is to pull the power cable out, then plug it back in and hit the power switch. 

When my first drive did this, the tech support person and I figured it might be a faulty NIC.  I moved the drives to a new enclosure sent by Buffalo.  Still, the problem persists. 

I recently (2 night ago) updated the firmware (1.02 -->1.07) and was hoping this would help.  This morning the drive was offline again, same symptoms as before.

I am VERY dissatisfied with the quality of this NAS.  I cannot rely on it to 'be there' when I want it.  Having to power-cycle it by pulling the cable is pretty awkward and time-consuming.

Any suggestions on what can be going on are welcome. Hope someone can help me get this working properly.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Linkstation Pro duo drops offline
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 01:34:36 PM »

Hello,

If you connect the NAS directly to a stand along PC and set a static IP address on the PC are you still having the same problems? This would rule out a network issue, also make sure you map the drive with the IP and not the name. Indeed it does seem a bit strange that you are having the exact same problem with more than one NAS.

Try what i suggested and let me know how you get on.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

sargepepper

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 02:01:44 PM »

I haven't tried connecting the NAS directly to the PC, but I did replace my router, and I am experiencing the same issues, so I think that excludes the router.

I will try re-mapping using the IP address and see if it helps. Thanks for the suggestion.

sargepepper

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 08:41:10 PM »
   I just thought of something - mapping using the IP address may not work.  When the LinkStation 'goes to sleep' I can't access it in any way - not by mapped drives, not by the IP address...The Buffalo NAS Navigator can't find the drive either.  That, plus the fact that the power button doesn't do anything indicate, to me, that there's something VERY strange going on, which is driving me up the wall :smileymad:.

SimoPP

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 03:21:57 AM »

I have had my Linkstation Pro for about 5 weeks now, and I suddenly started getting similar problems ie suddenly the drive becoming unavailable, and happening every few minutes. When tried to refres for example at windows explorer, usually becomes available, then goes away again. I have a fixed IP and I do not recognize any sudden changes in the network which could cause this. Very annoying indeed.

SimoPP

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 04:17:37 AM »

I have to get back to this issue as it is becoming really frustrating to work with the Linkstation Pro Duo, as it keeps dropping offline every few minutes. It just started it after maybe 4 weeks use.

I have tried to eliminate any network issues by moving the Linkstation to other equipment within the network, as well as updated the FW from 3.05 to 3.07. No change in the behaviour. I do not have the power button issues, it still works as it should.

cw100999

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 06:16:05 AM »

I am having the same problem since I upgraded the firmware from 1.01 to 1.07.

And I keep having to restructure my RAID array after I drop the power.

Any ideas?  Any new firmware on the horizon to fix this?  Or is it a hardware issue?

cw100999

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 07:01:30 AM »

I need to clarify one thing - when I put the IP Address into the browser, I do get the initial login screen.  I put in my admin username and password, and then it hangs.

The Informational LED is also flashing I16 - RAID ARRAY CREATING.  But it has been doing that for 10 hours.

Any ideas?

SimoPP

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 02:21:51 PM »

I have no idea what these things are doing; it is now three days since I made the fw upgrade and as the LS Pro Duo suddenly started dropping offline, now everything seems to be back in order. I also own a LS Live and it also has good and bad days. Very, very strange. I would not like say they are unreliable as I have to trust in them wiht all my 1,2 TB of data.

Raid arrays may take a while to create. During creation the whole unit should be unavailable, I think.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 10:04:13 AM »

Every one with drop off issues in the thread, I would recommend doing a force firmware flash <directions>

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&message.id=277&query.id=44935#M277

Then I would set the unit back to factory defaults from the WEB GUI (under maintenance).  This will not cause any data loss however it will wipe the user config file.  

Also some models of this unit have a switch on the back labeled auto/manual.  Please switch it to manual if your model has the switch. 

SimoPP

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 10:13:56 AM »
   In my LS Pro Duo V3 there is a OFF/ON/AUTO switch in the back, and it does not matter if it is in ON or AUTO. But, as I said, after FW update and few days, it is running perfectly. I hope it continues doing that.

sargepepper

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 11:17:57 AM »

Paul,

Before I try the forced firmware update - I did update to FW 1.07 about a month ago.  Should I change anything in the process as described? (I notice it mentions 1.03 at one point). Aso, since I DID update to 1.07, would this still be a possible solution?

Thank you, David

dave1892

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 09:39:02 AM »

Hi,

I have this problem too. My pro duoLS-W2.0TGL just drops off the network intermittently. Often if I try to redicover it, I get drive already mapped, which I then need to disconnect and reconnect.

Could you say why this is happening? I have updated the firmware today, to 3.07, which hasn't helped. I haven't done the factory default set yet as I would like to know howthat fixes things first before clearing allmy settings.

Finally, you say set it to manual from auto - mine has off/on/auto. Do you mean 'on' for mine? Permanently?

many thanks

Dave

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 10:07:06 AM »

Really there are three things you can do. 

Force the firmware

Set the unit back to factory defaults from the web interface under maintenance (no data loss)

Set a static IP on the NAS.

if all three fail contact support and set up an RMA

camn

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 01:19:10 AM »

Just started getting the same problem.

Will try your 'solutions' soon.

Any definative fix on this?

I already updated the FW to 3.09... no change.