Author Topic: My buffalo can not go outside to outside network  (Read 9231 times)

shlomo

• Calf
My buffalo can not go outside to outside network
« on: November 06, 2016, 01:13:05 PM »
No matter what i did. the ports config correct. but in computers i can not see the Nas Navigator outside from network on my home. then what i need to do? I want to open the Nas Navigator on another network (WAN or WIFI)

Tech4102

• Calf
Re: My buffalo can not go outside to outside network
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 02:15:41 PM »
If I'm not mistaken I believe you have to set up Port Forwarding to the router at the end destination. Buffalo stations do not support access from any location.

Tech4102

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 02:24:10 PM »
If you have not resolved the issue, please follow this link. It explains the positives, negatives and how to go about setting it up. Hope this helps if you haven't configured it yet..

https://babaawesam.com/2013/05/05/accessing-buffalo-nas-drive-from-web-i-devices-and-android/

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 11:16:13 AM »
In order to access the NAS as an SMB share from remote locations you need to go through a VPN. Regular network shares don't work via port forwarding over the internet.

Jerad Whitaker

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 04:53:02 PM »
The linkstations I have use the webaccess app just fine without a VPN.  You need to have the correct port forwarding setup on EVERY router between the outside and the nas.

Texturtle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 09:10:49 AM »
I would agree with you but he's not talking about webaccess, he's trying to get NAS Navigator to see it. That will never work without both the computer and the NAS being on the same IP subnet. The only way to accomplish this would be to set up a VPN.

I haven't used a commercial VPN but I'm pretty sure that won't work for this. It needs to be a VPN set up at the site, in this case the house. If your router has VPN functionality you can use that, otherwise you'll need something to be a VPN server at the house.

Alternatively, you could use webaccess if you just want to be able to access a specific share/shares remotely.

markhascole

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 02:34:26 AM »
i had faced same problem.

Texturtle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 09:13:18 AM »
I'd just like to reiterate, this is not due to something that Buffalo does specifically. The protocols used for basic network file shares are not routable. I can't access a shared folder on a Windows system over the internet without a VPN to get them both on the same IP subnet either. This is the way networking works. It's the reason that standards like FTP exist, to move files to and from remote locations.

Jerad Whitaker

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 04:53:24 PM »
If the OP is looking for Navigator access, I have used RealVNC remotely.  It's not the most secure, but what do you expect for free.  You have to leave one computer on the same LAN as the NAS to act as the VNC server.  You take control of that desktop and use Navigator from there.  I don't recommend using Navigator remotely, though.