Author Topic: Can’t connect to my Terastation NAS using my new router  (Read 3829 times)

Bubalis

• Calf
Can’t connect to my Terastation NAS using my new router
« on: November 03, 2016, 03:56:55 PM »
My old TP-Link router has recently started dropping my internet connection on a regular basis becoming completely unreliable. So I plugged in a new TP-Link router which I hoped would give me a more reliable internet connection but unfortunately I can now no longer connect to my Terastation. When I click on it I get the following message

“An error occurred when reconnecting Z: to \\TS-XL6FD\share Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use. The connection has not been restored.”

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? I have tried looking at the IP addresses to check that they match but that hasn’t got me anywhere so far. I have tried assigning a different drive letter or changing the name of the drive but that hasn’t worked either. I’m getting rather fed up with wasting time trying to find a solution to this problem. I have 1,000s of photos stored on my NAS which I need to be able to access, I can access them using the old router but I obviously also need a reliable internet connection.

I’m currently still using an ancient PC running Vista, I should ideally upgrade it but I want to resolve this issue first.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Bubalis

• Calf
Re: Can’t connect to my Terastation NAS using my new router
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 12:26:41 PM »
My specific problem of not being able to connect to my Terastation has now been solved evidently it was nothing to d with IP addresses as I'd first thought it was, instead it was a security issue, the new router thought my network was public rather than private or something like that and that the NAS should not be allowed to connect. Unfortunately my new router has if anything proved even less reliable than the old one and refuses to connect to the internet, the old one having been on all day has only just connected for the first time. I think I now need to find a more reliable router one that will actually stay connected to the internet all of the time and not just intermittently. If I do find one that works properly I can hopefully resolve any problems between it and my NAS.