Author Topic: Blue flashing lights on ls-qvl/r5 - cannot access via Nasnav or Updater  (Read 8692 times)

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.
Re: Blue flashing lights on ls-qvl/r5 - cannot access via Nasnav or Updater
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2018, 10:23:35 AM »
you have to check all 4 boot partitions

with each drive start the raid1 with only one drive
now try to mount the degraded raid

if this is possible, this drive is ok
unmount it, shutdown the computer an check the next drive

one drive should not be able to start the raid device or to mount the filesystem

flooreus

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2018, 10:00:03 AM »
Hi,

I have taken each drive, and stopped the RAIDs:

mdadm --stop /dev/md0
mdadm --stop /dev/md1
mdadm --stop /dev/md2

Then, to be sure md0 is partition 1:

mdadm --assemble --run /dev/md0 /dev/sdb1

I then mounted it and checked it. It mounted fine and there were no files there.

I did this for each drive, but each one mounted fine and was blank (as per your initial guidance).

flooreus

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2018, 12:57:45 PM »
I found the following post that basically says you can start from scratch with the new drives by removing all the partitions.

http://www.herzig-net.de/prog/?page=unbrick_ls-wxl

Of course I don't want to lose all of my data, so this is not an option for me. However, I would expect that formatting both the boot partition and linux partition (partitions 1 and 2) would cause the device to be in EM mode so I can then re-install the software. This is not the case with mine, it's just boot looping. How do I get the damn thing into EM mode so I can start from scratch?!?!

flooreus

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2018, 04:43:08 AM »
Does anyone have any answer to this? My NAS won't boot at all after it BROKE ITSELF DURING A FIRMWARE UPDATE!!!

I have tried:

1. Removing drives 1 by 1 and booting - This causes constant blue flashing light but nothing happens (failure to load firmware)
2. Removing all data from only the boot partitions and booting - Causes boot looping
3. Putting boot partition data back and removing all data from only the linux partitions and booting - Same effect as 1
4. Removing all data from both partitions and booting - Same effect as 1
5. Booting into EM mode - Holding the function button either before or after booting does nothing. I've held it for 5/10/15 seconds both before and during boot, and also tried both before AND after, but nothing happens. It just continues trying to boot and then flashes blue constantly.
6. TFTP booting to push the firmware to the NAS (not possible with LS-QVL from what I can see) - I downloaded the latest firmware from the Buffalo website, and used the TFTP boot software for LS-QTL (TFTP Boot Recovery LS-QTL 1.04.exe) from https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_oFnRRMAwk0SkYtdGpSdTNKTk0, where someone on the post http://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=10185.0 had luck with on the same model as me (LS-QVL). This didn't work. I tried linking my laptop directly to the NAS (using straight/patch cable, not crossover)

I am tearing my hair out here. I know my data is fine but the goddamn machine broke itself and then stopped working. How can there not be a failsafe in place for this?!?!

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2018, 04:28:47 AM »
Code: [Select]
4. Removing all data from both partitions and booting - Same effect as 1
i can not believe that
one partition on one drive is not clean
you should get E06
try to backup you data with the ufsexplorer

flooreus

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2018, 12:31:32 PM »
Thanks for replying. I have been able to mount all the partitions on all drives and access them fine. There are no files in both boot and Linux partitions. Out of interest, how will UFS Explorer help me? There is no data to back up. Or is there another use for UFS Explorer that I'm not seeing?

The only thing I can think of to do is to back up my data and remove the partitions, then just boot it and re-install the firmware but I really want to get this fixed without having to do that.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2018, 08:51:49 AM »
I'm writing up a guide for dealing with this type of situation, I've posted a short version to a couple of threads and so far it seems to work for everyone who's tried it.

It's posted at:
https://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=25358.msg90493#msg90493

I've done it on the LS-QVL and confirm that it works for that model.