Author Topic: LinkStation LS-XHL: DriveStation for back up?  (Read 2097 times)

lehua

• Calf
LinkStation LS-XHL: DriveStation for back up?
« on: May 18, 2009, 05:14:21 PM »

I'm completely new to this and trying to set up a home network NAS.  I just ordered a LS-XHL and need a back up for it.  If I went with a Buffalo product, which one and what format? 

kevin

• El Toro
Re: LinkStation LS-XHL: DriveStation for back up?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 12:32:35 AM »

I guess that really depends on what you want out of it...

You can go with another LS-XHL and run a backup over the network, or you can go with a USB drive. 

If you go with a USB drive, you need to format it FAT32 or XFS (or ext3) to perform a backup to it (you can format the drive using the LS). If it is formated to XFS or ext3, then you will also be able to have write access to the drive over your network.

Hope this helps

lehua

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 04:28:25 AM »
   I have A DriveStation hooked up through usb to the LS-XHL.  It automatically connected and I did a back up through web admin.  I don't see anywhere how to reformat the DriveStation or do anything with it.  What am I missing?  do I need to reformat it?  What format do they come in? I can't find any documentation with this thing or how to set up backups.  Help!
Message Edited by lehua on 06-17-2009 04:31 AM

lehua

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 05:47:22 AM »

Okay - finally figured it out. The info file was all Japanese. After hours looking for help, finally figured out how to reformat this. So which format, XFS or EFT3?  Have both vista and xp machines working on it.