Author Topic: Linkstation live - Web Access and Bit Torrent issue  (Read 8303 times)

Pottypotsworth

• Calf
Linkstation live - Web Access and Bit Torrent issue
« on: June 16, 2009, 05:49:09 PM »

I have been playing around trying to get both web access and bit torrent to work, however neither do, which leads me to beleive it is being caused by the same problem.

I have set up my router to foward ports 6881 -> 6881 (Bit torrent) and 9000 -> 9000 (Web access - custom port) and applied all the settings in the interface.

If i try to enable web access on the linkstation using unpnp then i get an error stating "upnp_NoGateway"which is odd because my router uses unpnp and works fine with other devices.

If i disable Auto-Configure Firewall (UPnP) and put in my own port of 9000 then i get the error "bnas_UpdateFail" - i have no idea what that could mean though.

My other problem is that Bit Torrent seems all correctly setup but my torrents dont seem to start and nor can i add them from a URL, they have to be uploaded. Torrents seem to be unable to find any seeders, leechers, etc etc

The Linkstation has a static ip address and for DNS servers i have put in the ip of the router since thats what all my other devices use.

Can anyone think as to why both web access and bit torrent dont seem to be working, surely it must be related? Is there anyway i can check if the Linkstation can actually 'see' the outside world.

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation live - Web Access and Bit Torrent issue
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 10:40:34 PM »

On this computer go to canyouseeme.org and make sure the ports are open.  This sounds like it could be a problem with your network though.

I want to check a couple things; go to start then run and type in "cmd" in the text line.  In the black DOS box that comes up type in "/k tracert -h 5 yahoo.com"and PM me with the results.

Message Edited by PCPiranha on 06-16-2009 10:41 PM

Pottypotsworth

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 06:14:47 AM »

Hi PCPiranha,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, i will try what you suggested as soon as i get back home after work. I am actually on a Mac so can i use the same command in terminal? I guess i can?

Just to make sure, if you want me to try those things do i have to setup port forwarding for my pc too? I had only set the router to forward the ports to the linkstation.

Thanks man

Pottypotsworth

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 04:35:13 PM »

Hey PCPirana

If i goto canyouseeme.org then i get the following error,

Error: I could not see your service on ***.***.***.*** (myIP) on port (6881)
Reason: Connection timed out

Obviously this indicates that it is not able to get through the firewall right? Even though the ports are supposed to be open :/

/k tracert -h 5 yahoo.com doesn't work as there seems to be no switch for /k under tracert

tracert -h 5 yahoo.com gives me...

Tracing route to yahoo.com [209.131.36.159] over a maximum of 5 hops:

1   199 ms   264 ms   250 ms  b1.www.vip.sp1.yahoo.com [209.131.36.159]

Trace complete.

Any ideas?

jameel

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 02:57:28 AM »

I've got a similar problem with BT not seeing any seeds/peers and not downloading any data. I've checked canyouseeme.org and get Success: I can see your service on **.**.**.*** on port (****)
Your ISP is not blocking port ****

Any ideas?

jameel

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 10:31:03 AM »

Hi guys

I emailed Buffalo tech support and they pointed me in the direction of the Network Config settings on the Linkstation itself. As well as giving it a static IP you need to set the DNS server to point to your router. Just correcting that made the linkstation see peers/seeds and start downloading the files.

Hope the same thing helps you.

Pottypotsworth

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 10:40:27 AM »

**bleep** you Jameel, now i am on my own, lol

I have the DNS servers as my routers ip address so it should work. However i think my problem does lie with the router since you said that canyouseeme.org CAN see you, yet mine can't, even though the ports are forwarded.

Thanks for posting anyway

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 10:58:39 AM »
   Pottypotsworth do an "ipconfig /all" in command prompt and enter the DNS entries listed here and see if this helps. Although your routers IP address should work it is not always gauranteed.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Pottypotsworth

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 01:55:19 PM »

Hi Davo,

No matter what i try, i don't seem to be able to find the DNS that i am using, everything i try just brings back the router address.

Interestingly though, i changed the link station to use dhcp, after doing this i went back to web access and it said that it had saved the changes. I can access the linkstation through buffalonas.com now.

Bit torrent still doesnt seem to be working, and canyouseeme.org still reports that both bort 6881 and 9000 cannot be seen, even though, like i say, buffalonas.com is working.

This is driving me nuts :/

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 02:37:25 PM »
Is buffalonas.com working remotely?  It will work locally even if the ports aren't forwarded, so make sure you are testing it from a remote location.  I would call the manufacturer of your router because the ports are obviously not open.
Message Edited by PCPiranha on 06-18-2009 02:44 PM

Pottypotsworth

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 05:14:56 PM »

Ok,

So after speaking with my router manufacturer i have managed to get the port forwarding working correctly and i get success on BOTH ports when using canyouseeme.org

Now, the thing is. I cant test web access remotely until tomorrow to see if it does work. But i can say that even though the ports seem to be fine now, the bit torrent still wont add from URL and nor will they start.

I feel i am getting closer to a solution though, and appreciate all the help through this.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 05:26:34 PM »

PM me with your buffalonas name and I can check it remotely for you if you want.

Also what FW version are you running?

Message Edited by PCPiranha on 06-18-2009 05:28 PM

Pottypotsworth

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 05:30:04 PM »
   Sent

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 05:32:33 PM »
Already sent one back to you.  It is working properly right now.  Ill see what I can do about the bittorrent thing, but what FW version are you using currently?

Pottypotsworth

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 05:39:05 PM »

That was fast, thanks man.

Model name says: LS-CHL F/W 1.07, so i guess thats 1.07, the latest right?

I'll await further instructions and keep tinkering around to see if i can find anything.