Author Topic: Firmware Update Failed! Please Help!  (Read 5694 times)

Myrle

• Calf
Firmware Update Failed! Please Help!
« on: June 16, 2009, 03:51:31 PM »
   I have a HD-H1.0TGL terastation.  I attempted to update to ver 2.16.  I did have the Firewall disabled.  It did not complete the update and now I cannot access the unit via the IP address.  I can see the unit in NASNavigator2 and have attempted to change the IP address and it appears to change it but it still does not allow me to access via the IP address.  I have reset the unit with no success in access.  In NasNavigator2, it shows the unit to be in em mode.  What can I do??????

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: Firmware Update Failed! Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 04:00:56 PM »
Try the update again, if you are having issues please refer to the force update procedure.

joe42

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 04:01:17 PM »

Likely, whats happened since its being displayed in EM mode is that there was in error in the transfer or writing of the new firmware.

When you performed the update, were you doing it wirelessly? I'd recommend running the updater again while its in EM mode, with a computer thats wired directly to your router. A force-update may also be necessary, since the terastation may currently register with the latest firmware already. The instructions for the force-update process can be found here:

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&thread.id=9309

Myrle

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 04:42:50 PM »
   Is it possible to revert back to old firmware?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 04:56:11 PM »
You can use the force update procedure to do that, but is there any particular reason?

Myrle

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 05:40:23 PM »

I understand that there is a good chance that the data may become unrecoverable.  Correct???  I have a HD Terastation so I would use the instruction for the forced updater older units(copied below).  Correct?  Just want to make sure I get this right.  I also have NasNavigator installed as I recently bought a Linkstation and the options on it are a little different than the instructions for the newer forced updater instructions.

If I am to use the older instructions would I still add the two lines to the ini file?????

[SpecialFlags]

Debug = 1

Force firmware update on older units:

NOTE: Units such as the TeraStation I and LinkStation Gigabit are among the older NAS devices in this category.  Since these devices are discontinued there isn't a TFTP solution that we offer, so if this procedure fails and you need your data I would suggest contacting a 3rd party data recovery professional.

1.      Download the appropriate firmware for your NAS from our website

2.      Extract the files on to your desktop

3.      Right click on the NASupdater application and go to Send To->Desktop (Create Shortcut)

4.      Right click on the newly created shortcut and choose Properties

5.      In the target line you will see:

"C:/[Path to your Desktop]/[Your NAS firmware folder]/NASupdater.exe"

On the right side of the end quotation you'll want to add:

[spacebar]/force

6.      Click on the Compatibility tab in the window and choose to "Run this program in compatibility mode with Windows 2000"

7.      Cross your fingers and run the shortcut

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 05:59:28 PM »

It may not have harmed the data at all barring file corruption!!  You do not need to add the two lines to the ini file because it is an older unit, this has nothing to do with how old the firmware is.  If you really (for some strange reason) want to downgrade the firmware this is how you do it.  It won't help for data recovery, however,  if that is what you're wondering.

Hope you find this thread helpful!!

Myrle

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 09:55:00 AM »

I followed all of the instructions.  I disabled all virus software and firewalls.  I am wired thru the hub.  I changed my computer IP to 192.168.11.165.  When the updater came up it said:  "It updates from the restoration mode"

I continued and it showed "waiting for writing of firmware" and then started "writing of firmware".  It got about 3 blocks over and then gave the following error:  "Failed: 0x80000001   Update is aborted."

What do I do now?

Myrle

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 01:25:53 PM »

Bump.

Myrle

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 10:01:11 AM »
   Can I get a response here.  Thank you.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 10:19:37 AM »
   Connect the TS directly to the PC start in safe mode, refresh the nas navi, get the IP address. Match the IP range (not the exact same IP!) on the PC and use the same subnet. Then force the firmware with the above instructions.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Myrle

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 10:38:39 AM »

Hi Davo

Thanks for the reply.  I believe that I have already did everything in your instructions but I want to make sure.  I have the computer attached to the terastation thru the hub.  Should I connect it directly thru a cat5 to the terastation and by pass the hub?  I have already changed the IP to be in the same range along with the subset.  The terastation is  192.168.11.150 and I used 192.168.11.165 on the computer.  You mentioned starting the terastation in safe mode.  I have not been able to get it out of EM mode.  How do I do that?  Thanks for your help.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 02:41:26 PM »

Sorry for the late response, I was off yesterday.

At this point in time your options are limited.  You can  try data recovery and then do the force firmware update with "rebuild partition table" checked, but this will result in data loss.