Author Topic: Cant connect to Active Directory - TS3400D  (Read 7179 times)

Lee@@

• Calf
Cant connect to Active Directory - TS3400D
« on: September 09, 2016, 08:03:46 AM »
Hi

I have just purchased a Buffalo Terastation TS3400D and am trying to connect to my Active directory via the network settings.  I have tried everything i can think of but still it fails with the message - "Participation in the Active Directory domain failed.
Check the settings of the Active Directory domain and check the Administrator username and password".
I have looked at numerous forum posts on google but cant get this to work.
I have checked the time is correct and entered all the Netbois, DNS and AD controller names correctly but still get the error.

Can anybody advise on this

Thank you

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: Cant connect to Active Directory - TS3400D
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 08:54:35 AM »
Make sure you have followed all the steps in this article, including setting the primary DNS server for the TeraStation as the DC you want to use.

http://buffalotech.com/support-and-downloads/faqs/joining-a-buffalo-nas-to-an-active-directory-domain

Unclejoe

• Calf
Re: Cant connect to Active Directory - TS3400D
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 03:15:24 PM »
Are you still having an issue with this. I faced the same thing today but found the error and got it working. I am adding what I learned here to help anyone else looking at this in the future.

The wording of some of the heading threw me off so it might confuse other folks as well.
The steps I followed.
Set the time on the NAS and check to make sure it is within 5 minutes of the time on your domain controller
Set the Name of the NAS. I named mine NAS-A
Setup a computer account in AD with the exact same name and change the delgation tab to Trust this computer for delegation to any service (Kereboros only)
Make sure you have DNS records for the NAS. Forward and reverse

Now here is where I got confused. In the NAS/ network settings when you are setting it up for Active Directory you must enter the correct information
NetBIOS Name. Here you want the NetBios Name of your domain not the NAS.  For example if the Domain is Acme.com then the NetBios name is ACME. Google how to find NETbios name of the domain if you are not sure.
Then DNS NAME: Again here they want to knwo the DNS NAme of the Domain not the NAS so in our example it would be Acme.Com

Finally the name of the domain controller. This should be on the same network segment as the NAS but I have not tested in on different segments. This is the regular name so a Domain controller with the FQND of DC1.Acme.com would be entered as just  DC1.

Then enter name of the administrator on the domain and the password.

This worked for me but I did need to reboot the NAS to get all the users and groups to populate. IF I had waited a while it may have populated by itself.

Hope this helps someone.