Author Topic: Unable to connect LinkStation Live LS-CHL 1.0TB with HDTV over DLNA  (Read 6109 times)

akey

• Calf

Hi,

I recently bought the LinkStation Live LS-CHL 1.0TB as well as Samsung LN40B650 HDTV. Both have DLNA.

Linkstation  Firmware 1.07

Laptop - Win XP -  SP2

Also installed the NASNavigator 2.

I have dumped a few mp3 files, photos and a DVD movie on to the Linkstation which is connected to my WIFI Router (Linksys) and I can see the files when I browse the folders using my laptop over Wifi, but I can not see the files nor the folder on my HDTV.

The HDTV does show that its connected to a DLNA server but none of the content gets displayed.

Please help as I would like to stream media content hosted on the server onto my HDTV.

Thanks! 

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: Unable to connect LinkStation Live LS-CHL 1.0TB with HDTV over DLNA
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 10:52:21 PM »
Try reflashing the database.

akey

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 10:53:35 AM »

I am not sure what you mean by that and how I could do it.

I also called into Support who helped me reinitialise the Linkstation but even after that nothing much changed..

Plz help 

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 03:36:29 PM »
Sign into the web interface and go to "Media Server" and under "database refresh setting" check "refresh now" and "initialize database before refresh"

akey

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 06:13:00 PM »

Hi PCPiranha,

I did do the steps you suggested.

I still cant seem to vew any content on my TV. FYI - I have a few jpeg, mp3 and an avi file stored in the "share" folder of the Linkstation.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 06:27:16 PM »

Thats odd,

I would try initializing the device at this point to clear up and configuration inconsistancies.  You can do this by clicking on the matenience tab in the interface.  Then select initialization and then initialize the unit.

akey

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 08:20:28 PM »

I tried 2 things

- Reset it to factory settings, as well as

- reinitialised it. In fact, when I had called Buffalo support - this is the first thing they made me do

I am unable to view any content streaming of my Linkstation onto the TV.

Infact, I ran Samsung PC Share manager (Samsun's Media server) running on my PC and shared some content. I am able to find this content on my TV and it is playing.

The content stored on Linkstation still can not be found.. nor played. 

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 08:40:34 PM »
What kind of router do you have?  Are you connecting wired or wirelessly with the TV and/or computer?  Also what did support have to say?

akey

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 09:52:23 PM »

I have a Linksys WRT54G model router.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series 

The Linkstation is connected to this router via a ethernet cable.

The HDTV is also connected to this router via a ethernet cable.

My PC is connected over WIFI to this router 

I was on call with Buffalo support for 30 mins while he seemed to be checking this out. Eventually, it got disconnected automatically.

All he suggested was the reinitialization part... nothing else.

plz help 

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 06:34:23 AM »
I would suggest performing a force firmware update with an initialization of the unit immediately thereafter. The force update procedure is in a FAQ at the top of the storage forum.

akey

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 08:32:56 PM »

It says that the - computer/server is on the same subnet as the NAS.

How do I do that, my computer is wirelessly connected to the Wifi... 

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 10:56:20 PM »

Connect your computer to one iof the LAN ports on the back of the router.  Then disable the wireless.  What subnet are they on?

Did you perform the force update procedure as dustega suggested?

mediajunkie1234

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 01:05:27 PM »

akey, have you gotten any further on this?

To be clear, does your Linkstation see your TV? Does your TV see the Linkstation? I got the impression by reading your initial post that your TV could see and connect to the Linkstation but just couldn't see any media available.

ciscokidicantec

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 09:17:10 PM »

I am also trying to do the same thing. I have seen a similiar kind of arrangement using Samsung HDTV, their 802.11n dongle which sits in the tv's usb type port and Windows 7 implementation of DLNA. The implication there is that its 'Push' technology only and not 'Pull' as relative to the TV which is ok when your doing it using a PC's screen but unfortunately one advantage of a NAS box is that all the PC are all off so you can't make the transfers except from the tv acting as as a DLNA client thus viewing the files/folders.

It maybe worth looking at

http://thedigitallifestyle.com/cs/blogs/ian/archive/2009/07/25/windows-7-play-to-and-a-samsung-dlna-enabled-tv.aspx

Its also worth saying that within this post is a link to 'Microsoft's Windows 7 Engineering Group' who talk about DLNA.

I myself would like to stream TV in the same manner but directly from live tv using a pc's tuner card, but I cant find one which is dlna certified. Also windows 7 has its own PVR but i'm not sure if you can direct the input from a dlna source while the file is still open and being written to by the PVR which maybe an alternative. I also believe that the Buffalo DLNA is infact the Twonky Server as used by Panasonic for there implementation of HDTV. However instead of using 802.11n as Samsung through their dongle they have there own propriety system to connect to the Panasonic.

If onyone has any ideas on these problems please reply.

dodd77

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 04:18:49 PM »

Has there been a solution found for this problem as I have the same situation with the same equipment.

The TV can see the drive and the files on it, pictures, music (MP3) and video (AVI). I can see the pictures through the TV but when trying to launch either the music or video files I get unknown file format. But when the files are accessed from a laptop that is DLNA compliant I can see and hear them on the TV.

I have upgraded the firmware of my Linkstation to 1.21 and I have also performed the steps given previously but I still no luck.

My network setup is the same as previousl mentioned. 

I have no problems with the the Linkstation through either a laptop, XBox 360 or PS3 but I dont want to have these on as i should be able to access the files through the TV.

Is there anything that can be done to sort this out?

Greatly appreciated.