Author Topic: Win10 upgrade thwarted by residual Buffalo app  (Read 20111 times)

DONNYORK

• Calf
Win10 upgrade thwarted by residual Buffalo app
« on: July 12, 2016, 09:29:24 AM »
I cannot get Windows Upgrade to complete its download of Windows10, evidently due to my past installation of Buffalo TurboPC.
Going on three years, I have not been using my old Buffalo external drive for backup duties, and my "Add/Remove Programs" (in addition to Revo Uninstaller!) cannot find anything of the BUFFALO TurboPC EX program ("app") that Microsoft upgrade asserts to be resident on my PC.  I've restarted my system and restarted the download for the Win10 upgrade repeatedly, but I still can't get past the Windows Update prompt appearing as follows: "We couldn't uninstall these apps.  You'll need to remove these apps yourself, and then select Refresh.  We need to uninstall these programs for now, but you can reinstall them after the upgrade is done."  ...after which there's a List with only a single entry--BUFFALO TurboPC EX Series" ...and down at the bottom a click button labeled "Refresh"
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 09:34:19 AM by DONNYORK »

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: Win10 upgrade thwarted by residual Buffalo app
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 09:36:58 AM »
You should have a PM from me.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 10:58:13 AM »
Reinstalling and uninstalling the app worked for me
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

DONNYORK

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 11:54:55 PM »
@Texturtle
Why private instead of openly on the forum?  :-[
@davo
If you mean the Buffalo app, I don't possess it for certain, & I haven't the slightest wish to install it again. Or is the Texturtle workaround the "it" that you mean?

Texturtle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 11:33:19 AM »
I used a PM because the solution I suggest is not official.

DONNYORK

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 04:46:53 AM »
I thought I'd messaged you a reply, in which I complained of my ignorance to use the zip file (its two files unzipped) you provided.  But messaged you I've NOT done successfully, judging from my inability to find the message here in my Sent folder.
A short video (sorry bout its sound quality, but at least pause-rewind is available) showing my hesitancy to trust the usage of what you provided is here for you:
http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cDibFsiAtl
Copious thanks

Texturtle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 11:25:21 AM »
That's expected behavior. The batch file removes directories, the .reg file removes registry keys.

DONNYORK

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 07:33:08 PM »
Is there more to running the batch file and the reg file you provided me?  Just double-clicking them from the file folder hasn't appeared to benefit my Win10 downloading.  Does anyone at Buffalo suppose not all of us the unwashed know what TO DO WITH a "reg" file??
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 08:48:13 PM by DONNYORK »

DONNYORK

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 08:51:41 PM »
The page here...
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-winapps/removing-buffalo-turbopc-ex-series/bb8a810e-0c00-4028-9e97-59f36bac8fdb?auth=1

...was the breakthrough against my frustrations, after trying most everything else on the topic of Buffalo Turbo PC EX in Microsoft Win'10 installation forums pages.

Pmudge

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 07:34:06 PM »
I tried all the MS solutions. Can't reload and delete, their line in command prompt didn't work. So much time wasted.  ::)
Can I please get a solution to this?

Bren106

• Calf
  • 1 NAS problem away from a big loop of USB drives
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 07:48:00 AM »
Thinly veiled attempt at spam spreading. Have flagged it to moderators of the forums.