Author Topic: Linkstation LS-CH1.0TL Not Detected in NasNavigator2 when updating Vista 64 to Service Pack 1  (Read 5884 times)

xfm

• Calf

I am sure this problem has be highlighted before and I have spoken to Buffalo and Microsoft about this a few months ago and neither were able to resolve the issue.

I am using Windows Vista Ultimate 64 on my PC and my Linkstation Drive has been working perfectly on my network up until the point where I installed SP1. When SP1 is installed the device is no longer visible on the network from the machine that has SP1 installed, also NasNavigator will not detect the Linkstation device.

It has now got to a point where I was forced to install both SP1 and SP2 as I was having continuos memory management problems and the system would keep crashing. Apparently SP1 resolves this issue, so you can see my dilemna. 

So my question is, is there a service that SP1 either disables or locks off so that network security is increased? Or has there been a patch to fix this? I have been searching for days and have not managed to find a solution.

I would appreciate any useful information on this matter.

Thanks in advance.

Message Edited by xfm on 06-14-2009 08:51 PM

xfm

• Calf

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Does anyone have a fix or resolution for this?

Please advise urgently as Microsoft and Buffalo Tech support have been totally useless.

Message Edited by xfm on 06-15-2009 10:17 AM

xfm

• Calf

Is this a help forum? Or just somewhere to post unresolved problems?

The reason I ask is because I see a trend of many unresolved issues on here, mine being one of them.

Colin137

• Big Bull

We've tested for this issue extensively in the past few days, hence the wait. There still remain unresolved issues in other threads, as we are waiting on firmware/driver updates and additional testing. You may notice that great majority of threads on this forum are resolved.

We've confirmed the issue with Vista 64 SP1 where the NASNavigator and Windows NetBIOS name detection does not work. However, our Vista 64 machine was able to access the shares on our LS-CHL by UNC path (WindowsKey+R, type \\ip_address_of_NAS, click OK). I advise you to try that. You can then map the drive by right clicking the share and selecting "Map Network Drive".

Message Edited by Colin137 on 06-16-2009 08:01 PM

xfm

• Calf

Had tried this before and knew it would not work due to the fact that the Linkstation could not be pinged from the Vista 64 SP1 machine, but is clearly visible to other devices on the same network. I have escalated this with Microsoft twice, so again they are currently looking into this.

If you attempt to ping the LInkstation from the Vista 64 SP1 machine the result you get back is host unreachable but reports the IP address of the PC and not the Linkstation, so does that suggest some IP blocking or forwarding?

For example:

c:>ping 192.168.1.65

Pinging 192.168.1.65 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.83: Destination host unreachable

(Note the IP address' 1.65 should be the Linkstation, 1.83 is the Vista 64 SP1 PC)

When attempting to map the device manually using \\ip_address_of_nas the error code reported is:

Error code:0x80070035

The network path was not found

I also note that after using the \\ip_address_of_nas command the Linkstation Icon and device name has re-appeared in windows explorer/network window but is unreachable as described above.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Do you have any firewalls running at all? Anti-virus? I didn't see anything about that in the previous postings.

xfm

• Calf

I do yes, but even with them disabled I get the same results as above.

The firewall I use is the standard Windows Vista one and my antivirus is Avast Home edition.

xfm

• Calf

I note that this is now getting way down the list and doesn't seem to be going anywhere with regards to a resolution.

Microsoft have now emailed me and are basically trying to wash their hands of the problem and blame it on Buffalo or the SAMBA service which in my opinion is complete ignorance of the fact that Microsoft have caused this issue in the first place.

Does anyone have any further input or fix for this yet please?

rinthos

• Buffalo

Well here's a few things to try....

1) Launch an Administrative Command Prompt (right click on Command Prompt, left click on Run As Administrator) (even if logged in as an admin, you'll need to do this).

Give ping a shot...

No go?

2) Uninstall + Reinstall your NIC card + drivers.  Repeat step 1, any luck now?

No go?

3) Try using a crossover cable and setting your IP and subnet mask to be 1 IP away from the Linkstation, then try to ping it, any luck?

4) IF you've got a router that your I/O is going through on your network, try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934430

Have been a LOT of Vista network related issues due to Autotuning.

Vista's update does something a way that's SUPPOSED to be supported by routers, but sure enough, buggy routers are becoming more apparent due to this.

(even w/ router firewalls disabled, shockingly enough)...

Hope this helps...

xfm

• Calf

None of these options have helped.

I am still unable to see the device on Vista 64 Ultimate machine which has SP1 and above installed.

Surely there is a fix for this? What part of SP1 is changed to remove visibility of a Network drive? With a 32 bit Vista O/S it is fine.

xfm

• Calf

Microsoft have now officially washed their hands of this problem in tactfully thrown it into Buffalos court!

Here is the email I received today from Microsoft:

"Unfortunately we have been unsuccessful in resolving your issue at this time; therefore I can confirm I am keeping this case as unresolved.

CURRENT STATUS: Unable to use network drive with Vista sp1.

ACTION PLAN: I have discussed this case with the Windows Vista development team and they have confirmed that there is nothing we can do with this network drive issue. This drive seems to be not fully compatible with Vista 64 Bit.SP1 Introduced a lot of security and other fixes. This seems to be affecting the way the PC communicates with the device. Buffalo device is a third party device/HW. Third party devices support is best effort. If SP1 has an issue with it, Buffalo needs to test their device with SP1 and tells us how to fix it or an workaround. Unless Buffalo lets Microsoft know what is actually being blocked when trying to connect their drive, the only work around we can offer is to not install the service pack.

Should you require any further assistance with this issue, please do not hesitate to call us with your case reference number already provided and we will be more than happy to help.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you once again for choosing Microsoft.

!! Have a Nice Day !!"
When I have called Buffalo they have said contact Microsoft, so I am stuck in a vicious circle. Can ANYONE please, please, please tell me how this can be fixed?

Jason

• El Toro

If you can't even ping the device then there is a more serious issue.

Regardless of whether the server runs SMB, AFP, NFS or any other protocol you should still be able to ping it.

Either it's some sort of network issue between the computer and the NAS, or you have a deeper problem in your network stack, or below the top layer. 

I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the IP stack and attempting the ping again. 

Any 64 bit vista machine i've used with this device is at a minimum able to ping it.

This makes it seem as if this isn't a compatiblity issue per se, it's something particular to your environment here. 

If the machine is pingable from other computers on your there's nothing else to modify on the NAS to change this situation on the 64 bit machine.

Failing that, try to boot into safe mode w/networking and try pinging/connecting by UNC path.

If that doesn't work, try a system restore or a complete reinstall of windows.  

xfm

• Calf

There is nothing wrong with the network, as the Linkstation was visible and accessible from the Vista 64 machine BEFORE SP1 was installed. The only thing that has changed in Microsofts updates and service packs.

Since SP1 was installed it no longer sees the device. So that would suggest that a setting has been changed in SP1, but what?  

And before you say uninstall SP1, please refer to my earlier posts.

I'm running round in circles here! Microsoft cause the problem and don't want to fix it and Buffalo say it is a Microsoft problem. I'm seriously getting a little fed up with this.

Jason

• El Toro

Again, there is no problem with vista 64 SP1 that causes it not be able to ping a NAS.

At least not one that is universal, did you actually try any of the things that i suggested? 

xfm

• Calf

Yes I did, and I was still unable to ping the NAS.