Author Topic: WMR-433 "invalid firmware"?  (Read 5528 times)

threap

• Calf
WMR-433 "invalid firmware"?
« on: June 20, 2016, 06:07:43 PM »
Hi all,

I've just purchased a WMR-433 travel router for comparative evaluation (along with similar products from Belkin and D-Link). I build demo kits for my company, and figured this would be a great way to provide the necessary wireless connectivity. On the basis of my experience with this first sample unit, I am not too impressed, alas :(

Biggest problem: My unit has firmware version 1.11 (R0.01/B1.03). I've downloaded the latest v1.3 firmware from Buffalo, but when I try to update it through the router's web interface I just get an "invalid firmware" error.
I've tried using both Firefox and IE11, but no difference.

Possibly related - I cannot get past the "Setup Wizard". All I can do through the web UI is choose the router mode (wired internet, wireless, or AP) - it won't allow me to change any other parameters. I want to use it in Wireless Connection mode, but the only way I've found to set the SSID is to select "Wired Connection", change the SSID, then revert to Wireless. It's like the router never realizes that the "first run" wizard has, in fact, been completed.

I figured that the newer firmware might resolve this but then encountered the problem above.
Overall, I'm not impressed with this product. It promises so much - definitely the smallest router I've ever seen, and in terms of (theoretical) capabilities it's an ideal fit for my project - but the implementation seems to be lacking.

Addendum: what I really need to do, is disable the built-in DHCP server. Now, I know I can do that by putting it into Access Point mode, but that would remove the ability to connect to a wireless WAN connection - which I also need.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 06:22:25 PM by threap »

sweetpotato

• Calf
Re: WMR-433 "invalid firmware"?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 08:17:21 AM »
Hi all,

I've just purchased a WMR-433 travel router for comparative evaluation (along with similar products from Belkin and D-Link). I build demo kits for my company, and figured this would be a great way to provide the necessary wireless connectivity. On the basis of my experience with this first sample unit, I am not too impressed, alas :(

Biggest problem: My unit has firmware version 1.11 (R0.01/B1.03). I've downloaded the latest v1.3 firmware from Buffalo, but when I try to update it through the router's web interface I just get an "invalid firmware" error.

Possibly related - I cannot get past the "Setup Wizard". All I can do through the web UI is choose the router mode (wired internet, wireless, or AP) - it won't allow me to change any other parameters. I want to use it in Wireless Connection mode, but the only way I've found to set the SSID is to select "Wired Connection", change the SSID, then revert to Wireless. It's like the router never realizes that the "first run" wizard has, in fact, been completed.

I figured that the newer firmware might resolve this but then encountered the problem above.
Overall, I'm not impressed with this product. It promises so much - definitely the smallest router I've ever seen, and in terms of (theoretical) capabilities it's an ideal fit for my project - but the implementation seems to be lacking.

Addendum: what I really need to do, is disable the built-in DHCP server. Now, I know I can do that by putting it into Access Point mode, but that would remove the ability to connect to a wireless WAN connection - which I also need.

Any suggestions?
I have encountered the same issue, but I thinks the available firmware is only for US now. (In Asia region, no available downloads)
Does Bufflalo have any plan to release a newer firmware for solving some issues between 1.11~1.40 for Asia model?

jarkal

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 01:19:08 PM »
I agree with this.  I purchased a few of these from Amazon and was sent the Asia version.  I can't upgrade to the latest firmware and there are limited settings I can change in the firmware.  Can we get an update on a firmware upgrade on all WMR-433 versions?

roguevoice

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 07:12:08 AM »
Here is firmware for the WMR-433-BK Japanese version for the http://buffalo.jp/support_ap/support/products/wmr_433.html.  Worked for me.  Latest/last Update 1.51.

Hi all,

Any suggestions?
I have encountered the same issue, but I thinks the available firmware is only for US now. (In Asia region, no available downloads)
Does Bufflalo have any plan to release a newer firmware for solving some issues between 1.11~1.40 for Asia model?