Author Topic: Having trouble reflashing a LS-WTGL with two replaced drives  (Read 2745 times)

vulogiccl

• Calf
Hi

I have an LS-W2.0TGL/R1 (US) unit that had both its drives replaced, and I am having problems reflashing it.

All I need is to restore the firmware on this unit, which had both its drives replaced (because both failed) and is currently running with brand-new, blank Seagate 1TB drives. I have no data to restore. I just need to get the unit back up and running.

I think I found all the proper files and docs to do this, but I'm not getting anywhere.

I am attempting this using a 64-bit Windows 7 Pro machine running with all its antivirus and firewall protections disabled.

1) I downloaded the files “TFTP Boot Recovery LS-WTGL-v1 1.08.ZIP” and “LSWTGL-109.ZIP” from the Web site, and unzipped them both.

2) From the Boot Recovery folder, I ran the TFTP server, booted the Linkstation and pressed the FUNC button for 5 seconds. I got the following:

Code: [Select]
Preparing to write TFTP configuration settings.
TFTP Configuration settings have been written.
TFTP Server Multithreaded Version 1.4 Windows Built 1.400

Starting TFTP...
alias / is mapped to I:\Installs & Updates\Buffalo Linkstation\TFTP Boot Recover
y LS-WTGL-v1 1.08\TFTP Boot Recovery\
listening On: 192.168.11.1:69
listening On: 127.0.0.1:69
permitted clients: all
server port range: all
max blksize: 65464
defult blksize: 512
default interval: 3
overwrite existing files: No
thread pool size: 1

accepting requests..
Client 192.168.11.150:2860 I:\Installs & Updates\Buffalo Linkstation\TFTP Boot R
ecovery LS-WTGL-v1 1.08\TFTP Boot Recovery\uImage.buffalo, 3434 Blocks Served
Client 192.168.11.150:3364 I:\Installs & Updates\Buffalo Linkstation\TFTP Boot R
ecovery LS-WTGL-v1 1.08\TFTP Boot Recovery\initrd.buffalo, 11023 Blocks Served

3) I then ran NASNAVI.EXE from the TFTP Recovery folder. I got the Buffalo NAS Navigator window showing the unit's host name, IP address (192.168.11.150) and subnet mask, and MAC address. It listed Firmware as "-----" and labeled it as "Unknown Series." There's little I can do from here except change the unit's IP address (which I don't want to do).

4) I then went to the firmware folder and ran LSUPDATER.EXE. I got the BUFFALO LS-WTGL Updater Ver.1.09 window with all fields blank. The program looked around for a brief amount of time, then displayed the dialog

Code: [Select]
LSUpdater
! LS-WGTL that needs updating wasn't found.

I’ve been going around in circles here. I have also tried this with the “TFTP Boot Recovery LS-WTGL-v3 3.08.ZIP” and “LSWTGLV3-310B.ZIP” files, and I get the same results.

I’m not sure whether I should be using the v1 or the v3 files, or if it even makes a difference. But I get identical results no matter which set I use. The unit boots, finds the TFTP server and downloads its recovery firmware. It properly sets the IP address, as documented, to 192.168.11.150. But then no other process will find the unit, so I can’t push the firmware update to it.

Am I missing a step somewhere? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
CL

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Having trouble reflashing a LS-WTGL with two replaced drives
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 01:27:36 AM »
How many USB ports does your linkstation have?
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

vulogiccl

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 06:56:34 AM »
Two.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 10:48:02 AM »
Then its the version 2 unit and you need the correct TFTP files and firmware.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!