Author Topic: Old NAS is Buffalo, New NAS a new brand?  (Read 8345 times)

bdsmith

Old NAS is Buffalo, New NAS a new brand?
« on: January 31, 2016, 08:17:17 AM »
I have had the Linkstation LS-VL Series 1 TB for many years, it has been a good performer, however, I ready to upgrade to a 2 bay NAS with much larger capacity.  I have been reading and heard a lot of good things about Synology.  Seems like Buffalo hasn't kept up with a more intuitive interface that runs their NAS systems.  I have never been a big fan of the system software or the NAS Navigator programs from Buffalo.  Would like others opinion?

KennethS

• Calf
Re: Old NAS is Buffalo, New NAS a new brand?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 03:57:10 AM »
I have had a LS-WXL 2TB for many years.  Like you, I have never been overly impressed with its usability or features.  But, it has served well to store a music collection for access by a home SONOS system.  I recently purchased a QNAP TS453A.  While it is at an entirely different price level, it is also far more capable with a much more advanced user-interface.  I have nothing but high praise for the QNAP device.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 07:09:14 AM »
For the price point of the Buffalo i think they offer good features and hardware, but like everything, if you pay more you get more, you can't pay for a Fiat and expect to get a Ferrari!
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

KennethS

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 08:25:26 AM »
In retrospect, I am ashamed my very first post to these forums may come across as a bash to Buffalo.  On the contrary, the Buffalo has been serving me well for nearly 5 years as network storage for a music library and I expect to have many more years of happy usage with it.  It has certainly been well worth the money.