Author Topic: Buffalo AC1900 router, many random entries in log  (Read 7469 times)

• Calf
Buffalo AC1900 router, many random entries in log
« on: May 09, 2016, 06:35:12 PM »
I am using the Buffalo AC1900 router on the latest north american firmware 2.37 and I noticed that I am getting many repeated entries in the log after adding a new wireless device to my network this week. I currently only have 5GHz enabled.

WIRELESS    wl1: wlc_bmac_processpmq: skip entry with mc/bc address 45:10:32:4a:00:99

This is repeated for hundreds of entries and the mac address seems to be similar to one device on my network but, the entry is one number off. For example the device mac starts with 44 but the entry in the log shows 45. Everything else is the same. Anyone got any idea what could be going on? I scanned my local area with wireshark and there are no devices transmitting with that MAC address so it seems to be contained to the router.

Edit: I disabled IGMP snooping and upnp and it doesn't seem to be related to those functions. I assumed MC meant multicast but I can't find any information online.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 07:16:55 PM by 1231222 »

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Buffalo AC1900 router, many random entries in log
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 03:03:00 AM »
Is there a problem here or are you just looking for a problem?
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 03:23:38 AM »
Is there a problem here or are you just looking for a problem?

I'd like the know what exactly is going on with my router and wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this oddity. This isn't normal and only contained to my buffalo router as far I can tell. The device isn't sending this traffic out according to my wireshark logs and all these entries are constantly filling the log and deleting other important stuff I would like to track to make room for more of these false entries.

In short,

1. I'd like to know why my buffalo router is constantly throwing out hundreds of non-stop entries on a non-existent MAC address.

2. How to stop this so I can continue to use the log without entries getting deleted within minutes due to excessive flooding of the entry in my original post.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 03:37:55 AM by 1231222 »

Storycrafter

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 10:53:46 AM »
I am also getting a similar error with a non-existent MAC address ("85:10:0d:xx:xx:xx" in my case).  This doesn't map to a vendor, so that raises some alarm bells in my head, along with flooding my logs, creating an extremely low SNR ratio.

The Google seems rather silent on this issue.  I'm hoping someone can:
a) describe whether this is safe to ignore or what it may actually mean
2) Indicate a way to turn it off if it is innocuous

I should note this is coincidental with a fairly new Moto X Pure which is complaining about a WIFI connection with no Internet, and is experiencing intermittent lack of connectivity.

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 12:20:36 AM »
I am also getting a similar error with a non-existent MAC address ("85:10:0d:xx:xx:xx" in my case).  This doesn't map to a vendor, so that raises some alarm bells in my head, along with flooding my logs, creating an extremely low SNR ratio.

The Google seems rather silent on this issue.  I'm hoping someone can:
a) describe whether this is safe to ignore or what it may actually mean
2) Indicate a way to turn it off if it is innocuous

I should note this is coincidental with a fairly new Moto X Pure which is complaining about a WIFI connection with no Internet, and is experiencing intermittent lack of connectivity.

Is the mac address in that entry very similar to the mac address of the new device you added to your network? I found that removing the new device stops the flooding but as soon as I add it back it begins again. Very strange.

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 01:21:02 AM »
Tried connecting the device to the 2.GHz band and it this problem is still happening. I am going to try wiring the device soon to see if the issue stops.

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 05:41:26 AM »
 I got another similar device and now the log has reverted to spamming : 85:d6:d0:xx:xx:xx which is one off the real address of 84:d6:d0:xx:xx:xx. (amazon fire TV). It is incredibly strange how this new devices address is very similar to Storycrafter's earlier post.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 05:49:46 AM by 1231222 »