Author Topic: Linkstation Mini does not wake up on al computers  (Read 2302 times)

aaumann

• Calf
Linkstation Mini does not wake up on al computers
« on: June 11, 2009, 03:24:40 PM »

Hi,

I recently purchased a linkstation mini 1GB in order to use it as a file server for my iTunes library, which I use from two macs:

1 Macbook Pro - connected wirelessly to an airport extreme station, and

1 Mac Mini - connected through ethernet cable to the same airport extreme station 

Unfortunately, the linkstation does only wake up when the macbook pro is up. It does not wake up when the mac mini is up. Even worse it shuts down, while e.g. I watch a movie via iTunes on the mac mini with the iTunes music folder on the linkstation mini.

I am pretty sure that no firewall issues are involved, as both macs connect to the same airport extreme. Also, remarks I found in this message board regarding "does not work with wireless" do not apply as the macbook pro that works is connected wirelessly, the problem is with the wired connection. Both macs run the latest NAS navigator and OS X 10.5.7. I even re-installed the entire mac mini with no effect.

Switching the linkstation to always on is no option for me, as a) the harddisks inside are not made for 24x7 and b) I can do better at one third of the price with a USB discconnected to the mac mini.

In essence, this behavior of the linkstation makes it pretty useless for me. Any thoughts from anyone? I'm pretty helpless, here.

Kind regards

Andreas 

Caleb

• Calf
Re: Linkstation Mini does not wake up on al computers
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 04:35:38 PM »

Try flipping the power switch from auto to on for an immidiate fix. As for long term maybe flashing the firmware, putting the unit on a dmz, or trying a different network cable from the router to the linkstation.

cheers

h2owasser

• Calf
Re: Linkstation Mini does not wake up on al computers
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 02:47:29 PM »

Hi Andreas,

You can also use a tool like http://www.readpixel.com/wakeonlan/ and fire up your linkstation with it. This basically means that WOL IS supported by the linkstation mini. But the linkstation seams to need 3 WOL packets to wake und stay up.

Cheers,

h2o