Author Topic: LinkStation Pro Duo - 1 of 2 drives in RAID1 has error. Replace?  (Read 2389 times)

absinthe

• Calf
I have a LinkStation Pro Duo LS-WV2.0TL/R1 that is 4 years and 4 months old.  It's been a good unit.  I've only used it with the two 1TB drives that were included with it, and ran them in RAID 1 (effectively giving me 1 TB of storage).  For a long time (like, measured in years), one of the two drives under System > Storage read as "error."  There were no issues in the real world, so I let it go for a long time.  Not long ago, I decided to try to fix by rebuilding the array.  That was successful; the error went away.  However, after a short time the "error" status for drive 2 returns.  Again, it's not causing me any real-world problems.  But now I'm also experiencing a second issue with the unit.  It just seems to "die," or literally cut off, with no lights showing on the unit.  I can fix by simply unplugging and allowing it to reboot.

I've probably rebuilt the array 3 times now, and the reboot has been necessary about 3 times as well.  It's just used as a home media server, so it wouldn't be a tragedy if I lost data, but I do want to expand to start putting photos and other stuff on it. 

So my question is: I'm wondering if these two issues are related, and if I should buy a replacement drive, or if I should just go ahead and replace the whole unit.  I had planned on upgrading to something a little spiffier at the end of this year (when the unit turns 5 years old) anyway, and I hate to spend money on a hard drive if that won't fix the issue.  My main use for NAS is as a Plex server, and have been thinking about upgrading to a unit that can run Plex rather than running Plex on my Mac. 

Just looking for any input.  Thanks!

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: LinkStation Pro Duo - 1 of 2 drives in RAID1 has error. Replace?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 10:38:08 AM »
The drive should be replaced, it will likely correct both problems.

absinthe

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 06:24:25 PM »
Thanks.  I may go down that road, rather than replacing the whole enchilada.  Question: Is replacing the drive simply a matter of removing the offending drive and replacing it with a new one, and then plugging her back up?  (And then the RAID1 array will rebuild?).  Sorry if this is an elementary question, but owner's manuals are a bit hard to find online for an item this old. 

Also, will basically any 3.5" 1 TB drive suffice for replacement?  Any WD red or blue, for instance?  I note that the original drives are rated for 3 Gb/s transfer speeds, but newer models are almost all 6 Gb/s.  I'm assuming this won't make a difference and that it will just default to the fastest speed of which the unit is capable. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 06:28:01 PM by absinthe »

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 09:00:24 AM »
Here's a link to the manual: http://buffalotech.com/support-and-downloads/download/LS-V_Manual.pdf

Unfortunately there is no guide for RAID rebuild in that manual.

Any 1TB or larger drive should work.

Shut down the LS, replace the drive and bring it back up. Go into the GUI for the LS and go to the "System" section and select "Storage". Click on the RAID array, it should give you a button to rebuild the array.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 09:12:45 AM by Texturtle »

absinthe

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 05:59:43 PM »
Thank you!