Author Topic: When Is The LinkStation Client Application For Mac Going To Be Updated?  (Read 2077 times)

DrSynn

• Calf
I own an older model LinkStation (HS-DH1000GL) that works just fine, though the client to access it has been acting wonky (I assume due to my computer running Mac OS X 10.11.4) so I was wondering when is Buffalo going to update it.

I have contacted Buffalo Tech Support in relation to the matter, and while their zeal to sell me a newer model was strong–truth be told, if was a little disturbing/irritating because they either weren't paying attention to what I asked or they disregarded it in an effort to make a sale–they said that they knew of no plans to update Buffalo's client application.

It sounds like a no-brainer that your client application should be kept current, though if not, could you recommend another client application of the LinkStation. 

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
What client application exactly? The NAS navigator? It's not even needed to access the unit!
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

DrSynn

• Calf
If I were just talking about accessing the unit, I would agree.  Though to manage the unit (making shares and so forth) the NASNaviagtor client is necessary.  Though if there's another way to so do, I'm all ears.

And even if the Navigator application weren't necessary to manage the LinkStation, is it really too much to ask that Buffalo update their applications?  I don't think so.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
 Well the unit is more than 5 year old old so no, I wouldn't expect them to update it, would you think apple update theres?

Anyways, no you don't need the NAS Navigator to manage the unit, just make a note of the IP address and manually type it into your browsers address bar.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

DrSynn

• Calf
We'll have to agree to disagree then.  We're also not talking about an operating system here, instead we're talking about an application that is useful no matter what the version of your LinkStation is (besides being significantly simpler by a massive degree).

Though it's interesting that you mention Apple because when you go on their support forums, the contributors tend to be more helpful, and less sarcastic (that's how your come off, at any rate) 

If you don't agree with what I ask–and you don't have to–then don't respond if you think it's too simplistic; though I will ask any question I feel I need an answer for.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
So because you don't like my answer you assume I'm being sarcastic? Grow up!

And also, the latest version was released 2 months ago and can be downloaded here:
http://www.buffalo-technology.com/Download_t3f.php?elif=%2Fuserfiles%2Ffile%2Fdownloads%2FNASNavigator-MAC.zip

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
We do get a lot of questions on truly old units, which is a good sign of the quality of units purchased today.

Still, once a unit goes EOL (and this one is EOL for at least 5 years) no more development is done.

Still - NASNavi gets updated all the time. Even more likely your problem isn't the software, but the 8+ year old hard drive in the unit. If you don't have a backup, make one immediately if not sooner.

**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**