Author Topic: File/folder permissions on Windows 10 - about to scream  (Read 2649 times)

uberunit

• Calf
File/folder permissions on Windows 10 - about to scream
« on: April 01, 2016, 05:32:47 AM »
Hello folks,

I bought a LinkStation 520 last week and have faced nothing but problems with it for a week.  I moved 4TB of files to the RAID 0 environment and although many of the folders are fully accessible from all devices, a lot of folders refuse access, and this is while logged in as Admin.  The warning pops up "you do not have permission to access this file" (or something similar).  I've been trying to resolve this issue for a week and I'm ready to scream!

I initially thought the folders were bugged so I created new folders and moved the contents over.  This was fine, I got access inside the folder, but then the files were glitched - video files reported an error in VLC and other media refused to be opened.  I downloaded the files through the web interface and the local copies opened without hesitation; as did the original files from the hard drive I used to copy to the NAS.  I tried taking ownership of all files, resetting the permissions and then sending back to the NAS, but the same issues occurred.

All files were initially moved to the 'Public' folder, as I want all devices in the home network to have full read/write permissions to the files. I have tried creating other users and then moving the files between that user's root folder, the 'Public' folder plus the 'Public' folder within the user's root folder, but still no joy.  The files/folders had no special permissions set before they were moved to the LinkStation so I can't see why I'm facing these issues.  I'm aware that I can't set the permissions in the browser software, so I'm seriously considering buying a different brand NAS that allows me to do so.

I see many, MANY similarly frustrated LinkStation users on various forums but there are no resolutions that I can see.  Is anyone able to help me find a solution?  I've heard about SSHing in to the NAS to set UNIX/LINUX permissions but I'm not sure how or where to start.  Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 05:34:31 AM by uberunit »