Author Topic: HS-DH1000GL NON RESPONSIVE  (Read 2046 times)

mwilson

• Calf
HS-DH1000GL NON RESPONSIVE
« on: March 26, 2016, 03:34:40 PM »
I have purchased four Buffalo Products
The Link Station HS-DH1000GL stopped responding and data just vanished from network and no device could reach the drive.

I downloaded the latest NasNav2 and the drive is found but cant explore or see data.
Support said two minute fix, just update firmware and you are good to go.

I attempted update.
Firmware was attempted using the LSUPDATER and starts out just fine.
It goes through the process and you get several updating and successful messages in rapid succession

where it chokes out is when it gets to the point where it reboots the Link station and it is waiting and waiting and hangs for ever until finally tells you reboot failed after 360 seconds and do you want to wait or abort etc.

That's as far as I get.

I dont know if the hard drive is bad. It seems like the hard drive failed but not 100% sure.

I need help

A. I am hoping to know how to confirm if the hard drive is dead or if there is another solution to try.
B. If the hard drive is dead I would like to know if anyone has any idea as to access the data.

The hard drive is a Hitachi Deskstar HDS721010KLA330
SATA 3.0 GBS 7200 RPM

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I purchased a terastation 1400 but I think I will return it. I am scared of Buffalo at this point, especially with the cold shoulder on the support. I even asked if I could pay for support and they said sorry we don't have that right now. SO I asked if they would return my email from a week ago, they apologized and said they were a bit backed up?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: HS-DH1000GL NON RESPONSIVE
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 05:50:51 PM »
Try using a supported disk size first, not 2TB.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 09:59:03 PM »
I'm sorry about the support thing, but there's not a company in the world that is going to provide support on a unit that is easily 8 years old. I'm a bit shocked that the drive lasted so long.

Even if pay-per-incident were ready, I'd be leery of asking you for the money, as this unit vastly predates my tenure at Buffalo, and no one in support has any experience with it (I predate all of them). I'd be reading the manual and guessing, same as you. Hardly a premium experience.

The 1400 is a good machine for the cost and the scope of support is laid out here :

http://www.buffalotech.com/support-and-downloads/warranty-and-rma/get-support/terastation-1000

Though even top of the line TeraStations can only have a maximum of 5 years of warranty with an additional purchase. The fact is that electronics have a finite shelf life, and you got an amazingly good amount of use out of that LinkStation.
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**

mwilson

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 08:30:39 AM »
I understand the hard drive lasted a long time, and that's great but why is there no phone support option to replace hard drives and start over etc?

Do you suggest just scrapping the equipment ?