Author Topic: LS220D - not found anymore!  (Read 3102 times)

wildething

• Calf
LS220D - not found anymore!
« on: March 06, 2016, 08:14:29 AM »
hello everyone!
resorted to a new message as cannot find an answer to this problem anywhere..... :(

LS220D - 2x 1TB WD

working flawlessly for months....   shared some folders up in Win and not had a problem at all.

this morning however - failed to access it from win10 as per normal - so not working,  rebooted everything - router/switch/PC's and NAS loads of times in various orders.  reseated drives - put drives in another machine and scanned for errors (all ok)

White link blinks on NAS bootup and then stays solid on,  no ambers or reds blinking (expect first light is red then goes to blinking white then solid white which i think is normal),  ethernet light blinks as expected.

Router gives it an IP address, (10.44.200.12 at the moment and i know it is giving it as it was .15 earlier pre router reboot) on same address as PC's (10.44.200.23)

but hitting the address times out and Navigator2 (latest version having also reinstalled this) does not see it at all.

it is dead to the network!!   i've run out of ideas.   :(      feels like it is failing to boot firmware correctly?  but no errors are showing.   do not think i can reinstall firmware until i can get Navigator to see it.

cheers all!

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: LS220D - not found anymore!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 01:39:19 PM »
My first guess would be that an update to Windows 10 changed something in the Windows firewall. Try turning off the firewall and see if that makes a difference.

Greg_Mein

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 02:19:43 PM »
I resurrected this topic rather than starting a new one assuming it will return the thread to recent status.

My LS220D... also recently quit working. It had been somewhat intermittent for quite some time. I didn't worry too much, usually rebooting it would restore it to usable condition. Now however, the drive is no longer detected on my network, neither with my PC's or my Macs and the Buffalo NAS program no longer sees it on either platform either.

I can live without this drive and would perhaps replace it however I sure wonder if there's a way to retrieve the data from the drives. I like the ease with which the drives go in and come out the front but they are unreadable when I place them in an external USB drive reader I frequently use. It seems unlikely that both drives have failed, I'm fairly certain I had a redundant RAID configuration and I'm apt to blame the network hardware but I have no way to be sure. Is there a way I can attempt to retrieve the data from these drives?

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 02:57:14 PM »
If the data array was set up as raid 1 (mirrored) you can take one of the drives and connect it to a pc running linux (perhaps booted from a livecd) with mdadm and xfs_progs installed. You should then be able to mount the array and access the data.

Greg_Mein

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 12:46:28 PM »
If the data array was set up as raid 1 (mirrored) you can take one of the drives and connect it to a pc running linux (perhaps booted from a livecd) with mdadm and xfs_progs installed. You should then be able to mount the array and access the data.

Well that's not really what I wanted to hear haha. I've gotten rid of old PC's I could have used to install Linux on. I suppose I could use my Win 7 laptop if I could create and boot to a Linux disc. All that would require some study and research, I've rarely even seen Linux!

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 01:55:54 PM »
yeah, not the easiest first linux project.

you might have to force start the array if you start it up with 1 disk.