Author Topic: LS420 Firmware Update help  (Read 1699 times)

leich_tech

• Calf
LS420 Firmware Update help
« on: February 24, 2019, 01:21:29 PM »
Wondering if anyone here has any experience with the following and can help me

I have a Buffalo LS420. When I run the NAS Navigator program I see my NAS is in Emergency mode. From the researched I did, I got the information it means the firmware on the NAS needs to be updated and needs to be done with the LSUpdater software.

After running the LSUpdater I get a error message "partition not found". I did research and found some help, to change some values in the LSUpdater.ini file, after doing those changes and running again the LSUpdater application I get a message, "Partition not detected, the target will be formatted and all data lost".

My question is, at this point if I do proceed what will happen, will just the firmware partition get rewritten and all data lost or will all my data stored on the hard drives get wiped out?

oxygen8

• The Oxy-genuine article
  • El Toro
  • Giving you some breathing space.
Re: LS420 Firmware Update help
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 03:04:59 PM »

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: LS420 Firmware Update help
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 03:20:48 PM »
yeah, hopefully whatever's wrong that's preventing the firmware update isn't something that linux can't handle (ie the partition table really being gone/corrupted).

if somehow the partition table is gone/corrupted but the underlying data is otherwise okay you have some options, though if recovering the data is life or death you might want to consider hiring a professional.

there is a free tool specifically for scanning disks and rebuilding their partition tables called testdisk:
https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

hopefully it doesn't come to that though