Author Topic: Windows folder permission issues  (Read 4294 times)

clamitie

• Calf
Windows folder permission issues
« on: January 27, 2016, 10:41:28 AM »
Hello all! I am having a windows folder permission issue that I cannot figure out.  I would appreciate your help.

Name:   TeraStation (TS1400R)
Firmware Version:   1.20-0.06

the TeraStation is joined to my AD and I've created a new folder share.  I have enabled SMB and in Access Restrictions I have given read/write permissions to a few domain users and a few domain groups to access the share.  That all works.

But we want to create sub-folders on that share and permission them for specific users and groups.  That way the share can host HR documents that only HR can see, and a folder for compliance that just the compliance group can see and so forth.

So, I connect to the share in Windows, create a new folder, name it "HR" then open its properties and try to add the domain's HR group in the folder security settings.  However when I apply the changes I see a "Error Applying Security" saying simply "Access denied" 

I'm logged in with an account as a Domain Admin that has full read/write permissions to the share according to the TeraStation's config. 

I tried again as the administrator account of the AD on the primary DC in Windows Server 2012, and got the same error but 2012's error says "Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access denied"

Can anybody help me with is problem please?

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: Windows folder permission issues
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 11:19:55 AM »
You are trying to set NTFS permissions on folders that are not on an NTFS file system, I'm afraid that won't work.

http://buffalotech.com/support-and-downloads/faqs/why-cant-i-set-file-level-permissions-on-my-terastation

clamitie

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 11:23:30 AM »
Ah, I see.  that clears things up.

I'll have to either do iSCSI or not use the TeraStation as this kind of storage.

Thanks for the link explaining things.

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 11:40:09 AM »
The other option would be to create specific shares for each group and grant access through the TeraStation GUI.