Author Topic: LinkStation Pro Duo Shared Folder Issue  (Read 12536 times)

SmoothAl

• Calf
LinkStation Pro Duo Shared Folder Issue
« on: June 09, 2009, 11:52:43 PM »

Hello!

Item:  LinkStation Pro Duo

Model #:  LS-W1.0TGL/R1

Firmware V.:  3.09

Computer Info:  PC/Desktop, Windows 2000, Linksys Broadband Router

Installation of the unit was fine.  I did not check to see if, when clicking on the shortcut to access the "shares", I was able to access them or not.  I immediately opened up the Web Admin control panel and changed the RAID0 to RAID1.

When that had finished I attempted to "Browse Shares" and I received an error message, what I found out was that a "Disk Check" was occuring.  Once that finished and I received a "Normal" status under the "Disk Management" section I attempted to "Browse Shares" again.  This time I get a "Could not open the shared folder.  Confirm drive status."

Suggestions on my next step/working past the error message.  There is no data on the NAS at this point.

SA

rinthos

• Buffalo
Re: LinkStation Pro Duo Shared Folder Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 12:09:21 AM »

When you 'change' the array (From R0 to R1) it will destroy all the shares.  You'll have to go back in through the Web Gui and re-create the shares.  If you use the exact same names as before (with the same user access permissions), your shortcuts should start working again.

If not, you'll want to re-create your shortcuts (again, after creating the shares).

Hope this helps.

---

SmoothAl

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 12:21:56 AM »

You don't happen to recall what the permissions are for the "share" folder that is created when you do the install, do you?  The "info" folder is present in the "Web Admin" control panel, but also does not show up when I click on "Browse Shares".

SA

rinthos

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 12:28:31 AM »

Afraid I don't recall, I've since recreated all of ours on numerous systems.

When in doubt...

* Give full access to everyone (all users, not recommended for security reasons).

* Don't use user permissions at all (if you have the option of user permissions though, it's an added layer of security)....

Although technically it shouldn't matter how you set it, it will just impacts how you map it (for your shortcut).  If you want to make a user named Fred, and give Fred exclusive rights to the share, that's fine, but when you re-map (and re-create the shortcut) you'll want to make sure you use Fred's login/pword as required.

Hope this helps,

---

SmoothAl

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 12:34:56 AM »

Okay, well I tried to recreate the original "share" folder and that did not help.  When "recreating the shortcut" are you saying that I should go through the install procedures again, since that's how they were created.

SA

rinthos

• Buffalo
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 12:44:53 AM »

Ahh gotcha.  I think i can walk you through this....

Assuming Windows Vista (XP/2000 very similar, and Mac OS, I'm a bit clueless):

1) Record the IP Address of your device.  In this example: 136.122.37.41

---If you're using Static IP's this works best :)

2) Record the name of the share.  In this example: shareMe

3) Click Start -> Run  (in vista, type RUN in the search bar for the Run window to appear).

4) In the "Open:" prompt type the device IP address and share name as shown below:

\\136.122.37.41\shareMe

and click Ok.  Does a window open up? (empty folder contents)?

If so, you can make a shortcut from that window and you're in business.

If you have user/password credentials set, you'll likely be prompted.

If this above doesn't work...

Open up My Computer (Computer).

Press the ALT key and go to Tools -> Map Network Drive.

Pick a drive letter (whatever you want) and in the Location: bar type:

\\136.122.37.41\shareMe

Then, if you set user access permissions on the Linkstation, click the Blue link (it's a bit subtle) that says "different username".

Enter your username + password there (username + password you set for the Share access).

Once completed, you should see that Drive letter show up under My Computer.  You can then make shortcuts of that and put them anywhere.

If this is a bit confusing, you can skip it all and use the Buffalo installation procedure, as i believe it does something similar.

SmoothAl

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 01:20:53 AM »

Hmm...I must've done something wrong.  I tried your first example and I received an error saying "Cannot find the file '//[IP ADDRESS]/share" (or one of its components).  make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available."

I tried the second example and I don't even show the NAS as a drive under "My Computer".  I tried to "Map a Drive" for the unit and it kept showing me an error of "The network path '//...' could not be found."

Thoughts on restoring it to the default?  Starting all over again.

SA

rinthos

• Buffalo
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 01:23:13 AM »
   Your slashes are the wrong direction ;)

SmoothAl

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 01:24:44 AM »
   I tried them both ways just to make sure.

rinthos

• Buffalo
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 01:25:57 AM »

Ok can you open a command prompt and post the output when you type:

net use

and press enter?

SmoothAl

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 01:29:37 AM »
   "New connections will be remembered.  There are no entries in the list."

rinthos

• Buffalo
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 01:32:10 AM »

ok so no stale mappings, that's a good thing.

What error message did you get when you reversed the slashes?  (shouldn't get a file pathing error since it's not file browsing)..

Example:

\\ 192.168.1.2\joe

(Remove the space, for some reason this forum likes to make it a link....).

What happens if you add a dollar sign at the end?

\\ 192.168.1.2\joe 

(again remove the space prior to the 192 or whatever IP address your Linkstation is).

jsantora

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 01:37:56 AM »

not sure if this will help or not....the folder name "share" was built-in when I powered up my server....

so when doing the map network drive i had to key this in exactly...\\192.168.0.4\share

If I key just \\192.168.0.4 I get an error message right away that windows cannot access \192... check the spelling of the name, otherwise there might be a problem with your network, etc..

If I key a bad ip like \\192.168.0.1 it takes a minute minutes to come back with an error message.

I may not be your most reliable source though, i'm on my 4th server in 12 months.  I'm know my fedEx ground guy by his first name now.  #1 just died, #2 is knocking and just drops off the network for most of the day; replacement unit #3 I received yesterday (on day 360 of my 1 year warranty) is DOA.  Oddly, tech support is not answering the phone tonight.

SmoothAl

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 01:38:36 AM »
   It says "The network path was not found.", when I type in '\\[IP ADDRESS]\share'.  When I add a $ at the end, I get the same thing.

rinthos

• Buffalo
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 01:45:27 AM »
   Going back to the Web Gui of the LS pro duo, you're certain it's a Windows share (checkbox)? Also status is now Normal? (no disk check etc. going on)? I'm guessing the Pro Duo IP Address does respond to pings but that is just weird.... Just blew away all the shares on one of mine, created new share and it's mapping just fine. I guess try reloading the app, but if it's failing to map I'm not seeing why. You made this in the 'shares' tab, not the 'web access/services' tab right?