Author Topic: No real interest in supporting their products  (Read 9646 times)

xrapidx

• Calf
No real interest in supporting their products
« on: January 18, 2016, 11:40:07 AM »
I wish I'd done more research on Buffalo and their products, I've seen quite a few posts now relating to support, or lack their of.  >:(

Bought a Buffalo TS-4800 with the intention of creating a RAID6 array which I could expand overtime - I also made sure to buy drives which were on their compatibility list to limit any issues I might have, and to make sure everything would work.

After creating the RAID array, and populating it - I realized I was about 2TB short on space, so I went out and sourced another disk - only to discover a RAID6 array is not expandable as advertised. Fortunately I discovered this while I still had all my smaller disks to make backups (again).

I logged a support issue on the 4th of December  - I was given the run around which had me continually rebuilding/recreating the array until I was eventually told that they reproduced the problem on their side and it was in-fact a bug. Whether or not they'll fix it, they can't tell me. I was told I'd get feedback in the new year. Nothing.

Contacted support again today (18th of January), again told no feedback. So I still don't know if this is even going to be fixed.

Really great when you buy a product from a company who offer very little backup, virtually no support on their own product.

You'd think considering this is a fairly significant bug on their NAS device, they'd give it some sort of priority.

I most certainly won't be buying another Buffalo product, or recommending them - its unfortunate I attempted to resolve this in December instead of returning the product before its return period lapsed.

xrapidx

• Calf
Re: No real interest in supporting their products
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 09:31:55 AM »
Don't hold your breath - as you can see, its over a year and the problem wasn't fixed, and they never contacted me again via the logged ticket.

Certainly won't buy one of their products again.

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 06:41:53 AM »
Are you at the latest firmware version? I seem to remember this one being a display issue on older firmwares. My 5800 allows for adding drives via RMM.
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**

xrapidx

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 03:43:28 AM »
I recreated the array numerous times.  Updated firmware, etc. It's fine for RAID5, but not RAID6.

I've subsequently populated all the bays a day created a RAID6 array... it is due to be replaced  extra year, and you can guess which manufacturer I won't be considering.

mpiechota

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 11:48:20 AM »
Agreed.  I've had an email ticket open for a time now.  Drive tells me it has an error.  I've sent a log in 3x - they keep telling me that the log I send is not from the unit with the error.  Uhh.. yeah it is. 

Oh, and I'm now getting email replies to *other* person's tech tickets.  Twice now.