Author Topic: Accessing USB drive connected to LinkStation as a mapped drive  (Read 2632 times)

readyjean

• Calf
Accessing USB drive connected to LinkStation as a mapped drive
« on: January 06, 2016, 03:56:13 AM »
I connected a 2TB USB drive to our LinkStation DH500GL.  I set individual and group permissions to read/write and when I open Navigator it I can see the folders and I can right click on the drive.  However I cannot write to it (ie right click new text doc) and I cannot assign a drive letter to it.  Is there any way around this?  Firmware is 2.10 - It has been a very reliable piece of kit and don't see a reason to scrap it, just to increase the capacity now that we have a lot of video to back up.  Thanks for any guidance.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Accessing USB drive connected to LinkStation as a mapped drive
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 04:21:53 AM »
What file format is the USB HDD?
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

readyjean

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 07:50:12 AM »
Thanks,
I've tried both NTFS and FAT32 - same result.  I can Map the USB so that it appears under "My Computer" but that's it - as soon as I try to write to the folder - nix.  I tried when mapping to use various credentials but that changes nothing. 
Jean

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 08:52:41 AM »
Thanks,
I've tried both NTFS and FAT32 - same result.  I can Map the USB so that it appears under "My Computer" but that's it - as soon as I try to write to the folder - nix.  I tried when mapping to use various credentials but that changes nothing. 
Jean

The USB HDD needs to be formatted to XFS, which can be done from the admin page of the NAS.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

readyjean

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 10:11:02 AM »
I think it was XFS and because I wasn't getting anyway I reformatted it but let me try again and report.  Thanks

readyjean

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 09:44:16 AM »
Hi there I formatted with XFS and it worked which was really good news - however I still have a permissions issue.  It works from one machine but not from another! I just have to sort that out.  Thanks for your help. Jean