Author Topic: Mac OS X 10.4.11 - New Buffalo 1TB External Drive Flashing Red Access Light  (Read 1814 times)

acs

• Calf

Hello everyone!

I purchased a 1TB external USB Hard drive and partitioned it (single partition) with the journalled MAC partion protocol, as I'm using a G5 PowerPC. I transferred the contents of my other 500GB Buffalo drive in one fell swoop, but after it finished 9 hours later, the access light was flashing in a fairly regular pattern. I thought perhaps I had overloaded it straight off, and so repartioned the drive as before, erasing the data I had transferred in the process. Following that, I started adding folders of files individually. It seemed fine at first (some extra flashing access light activity for two or three minutes after each folder, which I waited to finish before adding another folder), but after I added a rather larger folder (10GB), the access light settled into a pattern of 4 seconds on, 1 second off for about 30 minutes, and has since then settled into a continuously active mode. It is doing this as I type this message.

I've loaded random selections from the data I've transferred thus far, and everything seems ok. I checked the system profiler on my Mac and the computer identifies both Buffalo external drives.

The only difference between the towis the following:

500 GB drive:  File System:    HFS+

1TB drive:       File System:    Journaled HFS+

Have I erred somewhere, or should I return the drive and get a replacement?

Cheers!