Author Topic: Is NAS Navigator 2 compatible with Windows 10?  (Read 43068 times)

terrykp

• Calf
Is NAS Navigator 2 compatible with Windows 10?
« on: August 09, 2015, 07:07:32 AM »
Since I installed Windows 10 I cannot browse to the folders on my LinkStations.  Is this a common problem?

doobre

• Tatanka
Re: Is NAS Navigator 2 compatible with Windows 10?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 08:55:12 AM »
You know that you can map the shared drives within windows.. so you don't need to use nasnav2 if there is a compatability issue with win10...
user of 3x LS-WXL, 1xLS220D but not that impressed with the reliability of the Seagate disks they use...

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 10:57:24 AM »
What version of Windows 10 do you have?

I've tested with the enterprise preview version and I'm running Windows 10 Pro at my house, both work fine.

TedA

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 07:31:23 AM »
Since I installed Windows 10 I cannot browse to the folders on my LinkStations.  Is this a common problem?

I have the same problem! One desktop PC that I upgraded to Windows 10 can't access any of my LinkStations now. It used to with no issue from Windows 7. I can still access them from my other laptops running Windows 7 and Windows 8 now. Only the Win10 desktop that doesn't see them.

Navigator2 doesn't see the NAS's, Win10 File Explorer's Network doesn't show the logical nor the mapped drives (previously mapped in Win7 prior to the upgrade), and this is the weirdest part that I don't understand:

a) On the browser typing the static address of the NAS does not access the NAS
b) On CMD DOS prompt, pinging the static address of the NAS returns this??

Pinging 192.168.11.58 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.11.19: Destination host unreachable.

Obviously Win10 doesn't let me access the NAS and its IP address. Obviously it isn't a problem in Win7 or Win8. How do I fix it on Win10?

Texturtle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 09:55:25 AM »
Sounds like it's the firewall in Windows 10. Test by disabling the firewall, if that fixes the problem then you'll need to allow NAS Navigator through the firewall.

Pendaws

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 08:59:04 AM »
I am running Windows 10 pro and I have no issues what so ever with the NAS Navigator programme ver 2.82.
The Firewall is turned off as it has been since using Vista. I have a hardware firewall in my system so, not needed.
You could try either disabling it or allow the NAS IP access.

TedA

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 11:31:43 PM »
Sounds like it's the firewall in Windows 10. Test by disabling the firewall, if that fixes the problem then you'll need to allow NAS Navigator through the firewall.

Firewall has been disabled. Navigator2 can't find the NAS still.

Texturtle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 10:44:44 AM »
If the NAS is accessible and functioning it then NAS Navigator should see it. It is likely something else in your network or some other software installed on the system that is causing the problem.

What model LinkStation are you using?

TedA

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 08:49:57 PM »
If the NAS is accessible and functioning it then NAS Navigator should see it. It is likely something else in your network or some other software installed on the system that is causing the problem.

What model LinkStation are you using?

Model 421.

The firewall on or off makes no difference. The PC hardware is unchanged before and after I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. It worked perfectly under Windows 7 and they (2 NAS's) are still accessible from my laptops running Windows 7 and Windows 8.

What should I try next, other than blowing the Win10 and restoring Win7?

The Networking Connection setup looks unchanged from Win7 to Win10, i.e. Client for Microsoft Networks checked, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks checked, QoS Packet Scheduler checked, IPv4 checked (auto IP/DNS), Link Layer Topo Driver checked, Multiplexor Protocol unchecked, LLDP Protocol checked, IPv6 not checked or checked tried, Link Layer Topo Responder checked.

Edit: I saw this site trying to address similar issue(s) and as much as I tried different approaches mentioned there, none of them solves my problem with my NAS. Site: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/487cdcfd-ad17-48f6-85e1-4d3dad37c692/upgraded-to-windows-10-cannot-access-my-nas?forum=win10itpronetworking
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 08:55:04 PM by TedA »

Texturtle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 01:24:04 PM »
What version of NAS Navigator do you have installed?

TedA

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 03:49:57 PM »
What version of NAS Navigator do you have installed?

The latest version 2.82. It shows blank on startup and still nothing when I hit refresh several times.

I'm beginning to think that it has something to do with possibly the newer Windows 10 protocol standard and/or security (which I'm no expert of) and the NAS isn't compatible with it. I'll have to check the NAS firmware version when I'm home later.

mrken30

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 05:27:25 PM »
The problem occurs due to different authentication in windows 10. Create a local account with the same username and password and you should be able to see the files. By default it gets confused between your live account and the corresponding local account

AndrewFocusTech

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 03:24:42 AM »
Hi All,

The fix for me was quite simple and quick.

Windows 10 for whatever reason changed the network location type to public, this blocked all access to the NAS drive.

Simply changing the network location to private resolved the problem.

Hope this helps someone else!

Mashunsnik

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 12:40:07 PM »

Windows 10 for whatever reason changed the network location type to public, this blocked all access to the NAS drive.

Simply changing the network location to private resolved the problem.

Hope this helps someone else!

Thank you AndrewFocusTech for sharing your solution--it solved my problem.

writeme188

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 12:25:50 AM »
The problem occurs due to different authentication in windows 10. Create a local account with the same username and password and you should be able to see the files. By default it gets confused between your live account and the corresponding local account

Hi, what "same username" should one create? Is it the admin username to log into the NAS Navigator or is it the Windows ID previously used to install NAS Navigator?

Thanks much if any kind soul would help clarify to end my countless attempts and frustration!