Author Topic: Trade Show - Wireless Problems  (Read 2337 times)

Coyotedgtl

• Calf
Trade Show - Wireless Problems
« on: September 21, 2015, 10:28:15 AM »
Just returned from a trade show that had rather saturated (to be understated) wireless in the area.  No less than 50 SSIDS broadcasting on both 5 and 2.4.  certainly no clear channels- and for sure we found the best we could-  we ended up some 15% 'stronger' in our booth than other SSIDS.
So- we basically had no wireless- it would connect- then device would cycle and wander off in search of other- then might re-hook to ours- but basically unusable the show.  multiple devices.
n using a mac based wireless 'sniffer' i saw the huge number- and while we were incrementally stronger than neighbors- we never could make it work.  it was a linksys.

I am not seeking comment on the 'allowability' just the technical of the idea i have.  other ideas welcomed of course.

i bought the WXR 1900-  with the idea turning on a japanese channel 14-  (or other non-US channel)
2 questions then- how / is it possible to do it- i did buy this in US.  it has WRT-NXT on it.
next- if i do enable ch14- will the US laptops and ipads/iphones be able to see it?

of course if you have suggestion on why my wireless did not work in the first place- i would welcome that too- and use the new router.

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: Trade Show - Wireless Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 10:44:53 AM »
All wireless products sold in the US have to conform to FCC rules, which means they are designed to only operate only on the FCC designated channels. If you were to take a Japanese unit and turn on a non US channel, it is unlikely that any US certified computer or phone would see that channel or connect to it. It would also be an FCC violation.

Coyotedgtl

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 10:57:19 AM »
Ok well the value of that reply was to confirm i cannot technically turn on the channel on a US bought device- as I suspected- Any other comment as to solving the issue though?

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 01:49:05 PM »
Not really. Those environments are notorious for that problem. I read an article recently where some hotel chain was blocking all access points other than their own which cut down on interference. The complaint was that they were then charging exorbitant rates to use their wifi, which upset quite a few people.