Author Topic: Buffalo WZR-1750DHP / Buffalo WZR-1750DHPD DD-WRT Firmware Releases (Community)  (Read 47686 times)

JacobD84

• Tatanka
  • Bringin the DD-WRT.
Finally, a new release (r27944) is at ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/10-09-2015-r27944/buffalo_wzr-1750dhp/
HOWEVER, it has broken the 28MB barrier and bricked my routers, is someone with the knowledge on unbricking the 1750 willing to also try r27944 for me and confirm if it bricks their router please?

Yep. It bricked mine, too, and I had to do the whole serial cable thing to unbrick it. A ticket has already been filed: http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/4882

Thanks for confirming and creating a ticket for me; are you on a US/EU/UK/RUS or Asian router? Also what PCB revision (if any) is printed inside the router?

I really hope this thread doesn't have to go the way of the G450H one i maintained with unspecified limits to firmware size stopping testing...

lfb6

• Calf
@Ifb6 i've never tried that configuration before, instinct says it shouldn't work but will get back to you.
Thanks for the answer! If I remember it right the Buffalo firmware had this option and it worked (but this firmware made windows 7 state "unknown network" and set the connection to public virtually every third boot)

After reading what happened with newer releases I'll probably stay with r27805 until it seems safe to update :-) (I recovered some other bricked devices but that's a long time ago!)

Again- thanks for your work and help!

mgm

• Calf
Hello I am Mark from Germany and new here...

I look for a way to flash back the WZR-1750dhp to the original Buffalo DD-WRT firmware. At the moment this build is installed:
DD-WRT v3.0-r27805 std (09/11/15)
Kernel Version
Linux 3.10.87 #4602 SMP Thu Sep 10 06:28:14
CEST 2015 armv7l

this is a very stable Build !

if I try to go back to v23 (Buffalo's special DD-WRT Edition)via WebGui. The router reboots after firmwareupdate always into the 27085 release an don't downgrade to the V23 version.

any ideas to solve this Problem ?

thx

Mark
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 09:55:41 AM by mgm »

jason972000

• Calf
Hello,

I am having issues with my US version of the WZR-1750DHP.
It is still on the stock Version 2.24 (R1.00/B6.30.163-1.10-1.00) as reported from the web admin gui page.

My issue is that it seems to stop responding to wired/wireless connected devices when I get it busy with downloading source code from the internet (such as github.com).
** I use a repo sync command that will get several threads downloading (depending on a command line switch, like -j4 for example) the source code.
I can see that it gets about an 18.5MB/sec. average download speed going (looking at my linux system monitor).
That speed seems to be good, at least better than if I am using wireless access to the router.

After about 15 minutes of downloading, all my devices (wired and wireless) stop seeing any response from the router and the only way I can get it going again is to power off the router and back on again.

I am trying to decide if just updating to Buffalo's 2.27 firmware will fix that issue or if I should wait for a stable DD-WRT firmware for it.
I'm not sure how to debug the issue.
Anyone have any suggestions to troubleshoot the issue or which direction to go with firmware updates?

Any suggestions?

EDIT:  @lfb6 Thanks for you reply.   I finally got around to flashing the 9/11/2015 "factory" image and it seems to be working fine.   However I am now just using it as a repeater to try and extend my wireless to the backyard farther.   I used the web gui; reset from the gui; hard resest 30/30/30; flashed with gui; then after the flash I waited for about 10 minutes and then did the 30/30/30 reset again. 

« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 12:15:26 PM by jason972000 »

lfb6

• Calf
@ jason972000 I experienced kinda these stops also with 2.27: Everything that was connected to the internal hub worked but neither router or connected printer were accessible via wireless connection.

Tried one of (or the) latest stable DD-WRT version of september 11th and never experienced that again.
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/09-11-2015-r27805/buffalo_wzr-1750dhp/

European router- and be careful with later versions, they may have grown too large as mentioned earlier in this thread.

@ all: Did someone try later versions already? Is it confirmed that it's the size that makes them brick the router?

Thanks in advance :-)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 02:02:42 AM by lfb6 »

Kiwi

• Calf
I am using a EU WZR-1750DHP with the offizicial Buffalo dd-wrt firmware (r23709a).
The only issue that I have is a slow openvpn Performance: not more than 20mbit/s on a 50mbit/s line (I have tested the VPN provider with speeds of 80mbit and more in my work environment).

What has changed in dd-Wort sincee this release?
Is there some sort of changelog somewhere?
Have improvements been made on openvpn performance?

badhack

• Calf
Is anyone still testing new releases of dd-wrt? The fw recommended on this thread (r27805) is now 9 months out of date.

Has anyone tested wired / wireless performance on r27805? Many folks over at dd-wrt.com have reported poor performance after moving from Buffalo fw to dd-wrt firmware.

Just looking for a stable build with the latest security fixes and a working QoS (which has always been broken on my Buffalo "DD-WRT v24SP2- (06/12/14) std - build 23709c" fw.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Is anyone still testing new releases of dd-wrt? The fw recommended on this thread (r27805) is now 9 months out of date.

Has anyone tested wired / wireless performance on r27805? Many folks over at dd-wrt.com have reported poor performance after moving from Buffalo fw to dd-wrt firmware.

Just looking for a stable build with the latest security fixes and a working QoS (which has always been broken on my Buffalo "DD-WRT v24SP2- (06/12/14) std - build 23709c" fw.

I never managed to get a stable DDWRT FW for this router, all i wanted was it to act as a wireless bridge, it was always dropping the connection when using any number of DDWRT builds from both community and Buffalo, gave up in the end, life is too short and went to the Buffalo stock FW, no issues since changing to this.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

user_123

• Calf
Just successfully upgraded first time to the r29519 build dated 4-25-16 for my WZR-1750DHPD as configured in the repeater bridge mode.  I used my Netgear WDR4500v3 (Atheros) as the main router because it has stock firmware only and the Buffalo (Broadcom) with DD-WRT as the repeater.  Also because my Netgear has stronger output signal compared to the Buffalo WZR as measured by WiFi Analyzer.  Connecting my I5 core laptop wirelessly to the Buffalo repeater,  my 2.4GHz linkspeed can be connected at 114Mbps and running Speedtest.net getting about 37Mbps download through the Buffalo router on my sustained 60Mbps internet line through the wired Netgear router.   Seems like a go.

Storycrafter

• Calf
Just successfully upgraded first time to the r29519 build dated 4-25-16 for my WZR-1750DHPD as configured in the repeater bridge mode.

How long have you been running it?  Any stability issues?  Were you able to test it in normal AP mode at all?

I ask as I am stuck with the factory firmware and am having some stability issues and cryptic log messages and would rather move to something slightly more secure.

user_123

• Calf
I only used the wireless bridge mode in r29519 for a few days but found no problem.   Tried the AP mode initially in this build and it worked but not tested much.   

I have been using the original dd-wrt build r23709c that came with the unit continuously for 3 months in the AP mode and found that very stable and high performance in terms of speed and never found a need to reboot other than other routine maintenance boot.  This is before I upgraded to the 4-25-16 build last week.   The 2014 Factory firmware build should be very stable and secure.

ahuesjp

• Calf
I am very sorry for the newbie questions and doubts.

Due to my VPN provider I need to move from the Bufalo factory branded DD-WRT version 23709c to something 26XXX or newer on my WZR-1750DHPD. Hence, I need to switch to a community built DD-WRT (version 23709c is the newest DD-WRT built provided by Buffalo for my WZR-1750DHPD).

Can someone confirm what is the correct sequence of steps to do the switch from the Buffalo to the Community DD-WRT?

After some time searching on google, I believe this would be:

On the Buffalo branded DD-WRT
1. Perform a reset on the router holding the reset button down for 30 seconds, and then release
2. Log in the buffalo dd-wrt web gui
3. In the buffalo DDWRT, select "reset to default settings", then upload "factory-to-dd-wrt.bin", click "upgrade"
4. Give this at least 10 minutes for the upgrade/reboot to complete.

On the factory-to-dd-wrt
5. Log in the factory-to-dd-wrt web gui
6. Go to Administration > Factory Defaults and select to "restore to factory defaults" again wait at least 3 minutes
7. In the factory-to-dd-wrt, select "reset to default settings", then upload "buffalo-wzr-1750dhp-webflash.bin", click "upgrade"
8. Give this at least 10 minutes for the upgrade/reboot to complete.
9. Log in the community dd-wrt web gui
10. Go to Administration > Factory Defaults and select to "restore to factory defaults" again wait at least 3 minutes

Then, I should be able to login and configure the router as I need.

I have the following doubts:

1. As my WZR-1750DHPD is already running DD-WRT, do I really need to go through the factory-to-dd-wrt.bin step?
2. Do I need to do a 30/30/30 before and/or after the Buffalo branded DD-WRT steps above?
3. Do I need to do a 30/30/30 before and/or after the factory-to-dd-wrt steps above?

As there appear to be no harm on the factory-to-dd-wrt.bin step, I am just thinking of doing it even if it is not necessary.

My doubt/concern on the 30/30/30 reset is that the instructions for going from Buffalo branded to Community DD-WRT for the WZR-HP-AG300H do not require it: http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WZR-HP-AG300H. And the explanation on the 30/30/30 instructions says that for some hardware it can have "unpleasant results": https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Reset_And_Reboot. Except for that statement, my understanding is that I should perform the 30/30/30 reset before and after all firmware updates. Can anyone provide some experience/guidance here?

Finally, there doesn't seem to be an overall best DD-WRT firmware for the WZR-1750DHPD? Should I just use last recommended r27805 built? Or is one of the older ones more stable/preferred?

My apologies again if my doubts are just too basic, but I would really appreciate if anyone can help me out confirming my steps and answering my doubts.

Thanks,

Juan Pablo

JacobD84

• Tatanka
  • Bringin the DD-WRT.
@Juan, sorry for the delayed reply. Even if using the Buffalo DD-WRT ALWAYS use the factory-dd-wrt file the first time with the appropriate reset option(s) selected. 30/30/30 reset is not normally required first, but do it just to eliminate any potential problems.

My recommendation on version is as follows; if you want tested and rock solid, go with the r27805 release; it's served me well and my longest used firmware. If you want cutting edge release, but with the security of it being tested on US/RU/EU routers by myself, go with r31825 below... The first release I've trusted in a long time; despite it braking 29MB in size it didn't brick a single router!

My first post in a LONG time here; new firmware is tested and working on my US, RU & UK/EU routers. r31825 is go!
For all updating you MUST do the factory reset with this update, no exceptions, otherwise bricked router will ensue. File size is >29MB. All the usual disclaimers apply (read the OP)

I'll update the OP accordingly...

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/04-06-2017-r31825/buffalo_wzr-1750dhp/
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:14:57 PM by JacobD84 »

ffalcinelli

• Calf
Hi all,

thanks for your efforts, I'm currently using the firmware reported in this thread and it's working fine.

I'd like to ask a couple of things: are you still testing new firmware images for this router? Are you able to reach the 1.2Gbit/s on 5Ghz AC radio?

Thank you again,
Fabio

rhfritz

• Calf
The last I see here, the latest recommended build from JacobD84 is 04-06-2017-r31825.  Looking at dd-wrt site, the latest build for this router appears to be: 10-10-2018-37305

Does anyone have experience with this latest build?   I've been remiss in my tech responsibilities and am still running the factory r2370c release.  I figured if I was going to update, I'd go as shiny as possible.

Thanks!