Author Topic: Buffalo WZR-1750DHP / Buffalo WZR-1750DHPD DD-WRT Firmware Releases (Community)  (Read 47692 times)

JacobD84

• Tatanka
  • Bringin the DD-WRT.
Hi all,

I have for sometime now, and as many of you are aware, maintained a thread for post 20025 Buffalo OFFICIAL firmware to fix many of the problems it created on the G450H.

I now am starting this thread with the intention of doing the same for the Buffalo WZR-1750DHP / Buffalo WZR-1750DHPD as the official release remains on r23xxx and a lot has changed since then.

Thankfully there are regularly updated official DD-WRT community builds for the Buffalo WZR-1750DHP / Buffalo WZR-1750DHPD now available on the DD-WRT ftp site though many of these are released as BETAs with little or no testing.

For that reason, as with my G450H thread, i intend to post versions that work and i have extensively tested on a UK/EU, US and Asian/Russian version of the routers that are in my possession and only post versions that work on all three without any bricking on update. Basically if they don't work, or im not happy with the stability, i don't post it here!

NEWEST (Tested & Stable On EU/UK, RUS and US Router):
r31825 ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/04-06-2017-r31825/buffalo_wzr-1750dhp/

BEST ALL-ROUND DD-WRT FIRMWARE(S) for Buffalo WZR-1750DHP / Buffalo WZR-1750DHPD
r27805 ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/09-11-2015-r27805/buffalo_wzr-1750dhp/ - Solid as a rock! Served me as primary firmware for >1year!

TESTING:
N/A

OLDER:
r27805 ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/09-11-2015-r27805/buffalo_wzr-1750dhp/
r27600 ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/08-11-2015-r27600/buffalo_wzr-1750dhp/
r27506 ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/07-09-2015-r27506/buffalo_wzr-1750dhp/
r27435 ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/06-24-2015-r27435/buffalo_wzr-1750dhp/

PROBLEMATIC RELEASES (DO NOT USE):
r27506 ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/07-09-2015-r27506/buffalo_wzr-1750dhp/ - POSSIBLE REPEATER ISSUES REPORTED (POST ANNOUNCEMENT TESTING - Thanks for report davo)

Please note, this is a DD-WRT Community build, not a Bufallo certified DD-WRT build, but if your having issues with the official buffalo firmware then the upgrade is probably worth a shot for you in the absence of any official Buffalo revisions.

If you do not have issues, don't risk breaking something that doesn't need fixing by updating ;) I cannot stress this enough

I have used the buffalo-wzr-1750dhp-webflash.bin firmware in my update BTW, the factory-to-dd-wrt.bin i have not tested! This is only used the first time you move from Buffalo to Community DD-WRT and should be the same as the webflash release

To upgrade, download the file from the FTP, then using the Buffalo DD-WRT GUI head to Administration, Firmware Upgrade and select the file on your PC.

I recommend resetting all settings to their factory defaults on upgrade; just do it, for the sake of some pen and paper to write down all your changed settings resetting on update fixes so many problems!

Hope this is of help to all of you :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 12:09:57 PM by JacobD84 »

bard

• Calf
This does not work if you have flashed to 2.27

JacobD84

• Tatanka
  • Bringin the DD-WRT.
This does not work if you have flashed to 2.27

I can confirm this worked for me on the EU/UK, RUS and US routers in my possession when moving from 2.27
Please don't post things as fact when you may be the exception.

As it happens i am looking into the possibility that some US routers do not update using the Factory-DDwrt Firmware. This issue has also been reported by Leonard.

At present, i've worked out that people who have new routers with 2.24 or older, that update to 2.27 then use the factory-ddwrt release (like myself) will have success.
However, those who start with a US router 2.25 or later then update to 2.27 before trying factory-ddwrt releases will not have success.

This indicates that there has been a minor hardware revision OR something was added in the 2.25/2.26 release that acted as a precursor to the 2.27 restrictions. The fact that it is also limited solely to US routers at the moment (until someone reports otherwise) also would signal this hypothesis as correct. I've also had reports of Grey Market Import models (Which inherently are also US internally) have also had some problems.

I'm trying to ascertain what is going on.
But beyond yourself and Leonard, i am not aware of any more than a handful of people who can't update using the decoded firmware or by using a hex editor to modify the webflash releases (which makes them effectively the same as the factory-ddwrt release anyway).

In the meantime, i really recommend bothering tech support in your region; As i have said elsewhere, the more people who bother tech support, hopefully the sooner Buffalo will look to resolving issues with their licenses. Plus, they've already set a precedent by helping users out in reverting/changing from 2.27, so it is possible by legitimate means.

After-all, for a router that costs £120/$190 you would hope that buffalo would have enough cash to rectify whatever problem there is. If not, they should reduce the cost of the router IMHO as their marketing is pushing a product that since the 2.27 update is not as flexible as they suggest. It's also interesting to see that the WZR-1750DHPD, that includes the DD-WRT firmware by default has all but disappeared from sale in the UK and is increasingly rare in other countries so i imagine that we are about to see a whole host of Buffalo-Firmware only restrictions as new routers appear.

Not a situation i think any of us want to see, but it's increasingly looking like its going to be the case until people start bothering the manufacturers en-mass to sort out flexible licensing for their firmwares.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 05:17:37 AM by JacobD84 »

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
FYI: The WZR-1750DHPD was never available in the UK, nor was it ever stated so on the UK website. I've a few of these routers and will be keeping an eye on this thread, if you want a hand then let me know.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

JacobD84

• Tatanka
  • Bringin the DD-WRT.
Hi all,

I've updated the FP with a new release; r27506 which appears to be stable and without issue so i've also added it to the best firmwares for now.

The release can be found here
r27506 ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/07-09-2015-r27506/buffalo_wzr-1750dhp/

As usual; please DO NOT UPDATE unless you are trying to fix a problem in an earlier firmware (If it isn't broke don't fix it).
If you do update, please report any bugs or issues so i can note them appropriately and report them to the DD-WRT community.
ALWAYS reset to factory defaults on update - For the sake of a pen and some paper to remember settings it solves so many issues ;)

@davo - Many thanks for the info; i was not aware of this and explains why my UK purchased WZR-1750DHPD appeared to be an import when it arrived despite being purchased from a prominent UK retailer and listed as UK/EU on their site. I'll bear this in mind as it effectively means there may be a hole in my testing plan; namely i have no pure UK/EU version of the 1750 only an EU import. In reality i hope it shouldn't matter however; i'm not sure how Buffalo varies things from region to region. My other two are WZR-1750DHP's of the RUS and US regions upgraded to DD-WRT by myself.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 06:47:34 AM by JacobD84 »

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Argh! I simply cannot 2 of these routers on 27506 to connect either as a repeater bridge or client bridge on 5Ghz! literally spent 2 hours last night trying to get it working. Rolled back to 23919 and worked without issue!
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

JacobD84

• Tatanka
  • Bringin the DD-WRT.
Argh! I simply cannot 2 of these routers on 27506 to connect either as a repeater bridge or client bridge on 5Ghz! literally spent 2 hours last night trying to get it working. Rolled back to 23919 and worked without issue!

Thanks for the report davo; i'll look into it.

Which regions are the routers from and what wireless settings are you using and i'll try to replicate.
Are you using wired or wireless connections to bridge? (I'm assuming wired for repeaters, but best to check)

I've updated the FP accordingly.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 04:30:36 PM by JacobD84 »

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Wireless setting from the main router are below with a WPA2 AES password.

Trying to wireless bridge 2 x 1750 routers.

http://imgur.com/jl6l8Lz

Again, settings working fine on 23919 but not 27506. Tested on both a client bridge and repeater bridge on the second router.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 10:03:01 AM by davo »

JacobD84

• Tatanka
  • Bringin the DD-WRT.
Hi davo,

Im having real problems duplicating this error; both wired and wireless repeaters work as intended for me.

Can you try r27600 and see if it persists please? (Usual disclaimers apply; reset to factory settings on update)
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/08-11-2015-r27600/buffalo_wzr-1750dhp/

dts

• Calf
Thanks for this awesome thread! This is exactly what I need. I have a buffalo wzr-1750dhpd. It came with firmware  v24 SP2-(8/12/14) std.

I bought this router so I could usb tether my 4G phone to the router for WAN/Internet connectivity. I hoped it would work out of the box, as certain builds of dd-wrt are reported to have that built in. (My two references for that are posted below.) Unfortunately, either this build of dd-wrt doesn't support that feature or I don't know how to enable it and set it up.

My plan is to try a newer firmware. Any recommendations specific to my needs?

Also, what are the steps to update from the factory instaled dd-wrt to a community build? Can I use the GUI?

Finally, if anyone can tell me how to enable this without updating the firmware, I appreciate it.

References:
--------------------
Mobile Broadband - DD-WRT Wiki
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Mobile_Broadband
"As of 04/04/09 we support UMTS 3G / 3.xG / 4G/ LTE and CDMA2000(EV-DO) modems connected via the USB port or as mPCIe cards."

DD-WRT Forum :: View topic - 4G USB Modem
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=981336#981336
"I can recommend Kong Mod to achieve this. Works right out of the box, at leastt for me. I recently lost my wired internet connection and used a 3G dongle as backup. The only thing I did was to plug in the dongle, select '3G/4G' as Wan connection and filled in the APN. Everything worked directly, no additional modules to load. Success or failure is of course dependent on the dongle being supported."
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 04:05:22 PM by dts »

JacobD84

• Tatanka
  • Bringin the DD-WRT.
Hi all,

I've successfully tested r27805 today across all my routers; Davo can you tell me if it fixes your repeater problem please?

r27805 ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/09-11-2015-r27805/buffalo_wzr-1750dhp/

For everyone else:
As usual; please DO NOT UPDATE unless you are trying to fix a problem in an earlier firmware (If it isn't broke don't fix it).
If you do update, please report any bugs or issues so i can note them appropriately and report them to the DD-WRT community.
ALWAYS reset to factory defaults on update - For the sake of a pen and some paper to remember settings it solves so many issues ;)

@dts
I'm afraid i'm not experienced in using dongles for internet connections on these routers; beyond asking on the official DD-WRT forums i can't really suggest anything i'm afraid :(
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 11:05:10 AM by JacobD84 »

lfb6

• Calf
Hi and thanks a lot for this thread!

I'm quite new to DD-WRT, actually I've installed it the first time today, so my question might be a stupid one....

I use a WZR-1750DHP as wireless bridge to an ASUS RT-AC66U I don't have access to (physically and no account), which makes the connection to the internet. Got some problem with firmware 2.27 so I decided to give DD-WRT a try and so far it's been good decision.

There is one thing: I had as far as I remember no problems to use 2.4 und 5 GHz wireless channels parallel in this bridge with firmware 2.24 or 2.27. Now with DD-WRT 27805 it's no longer possible. I can configure it, have a connection to the gateway and internet access some minutes but therafter web- access to the WZR-1750 slows very much down (browser timeout) and I can't connect to the (ASUS-) gateway any longer. This behaviour is the same regardless if I configure both wireless interfaces as "client bridge", both as "repeater bridge" or one as a "client bridge" and one as a "repeater bridge". I doens't make any difference if I configure the 5 GHz interface as "AC only" and the 2.4GHz interface as "bg only".

The actual configuration is 5 GHz "Client bridge" and 2.4 GHz as "Repeater", both "mixed" and at least I stay connected.   

Should it work with both wireless interfaces parallel in a bridge or am I just thinking falsely?

Thanks in advance- best regards!

noob1

>:(

Ok, I just got a new Buffalo AirStation Extreme AC 1750 Gigabit Dual Band DD-WRT Router - Model: WXR-1750DHPD.  So that's what is says on the box and on the router.

But in the admin page doesn't say anything about DD-WRT  Here's what it say for the model and firmware version:

Model WZR-1750DHP Version 2.24 (R1.00/B6.30.163-1.10-1.00)
Firmware Version WZR-1750DHP Ver.2.24

Does anyone know if I can upgrade to WZR-1750DHPD Firmware v24-SP2 build 23709c ?
And will that give me DD-WRT?
I cannot believe this!!!

JacobD84

• Tatanka
  • Bringin the DD-WRT.
@noob1, you need to update to DD-WRT by using the factory-ddwrt firmware on the community ftp, or via the official buffalo DD-WRT release. It sounds like your router is not a DHPD only a DHP as the firmware version you state is a Buffalo-own firmware, not DD-WRT.

@Ifb6 i've never tried that configuration before, instinct says it shouldn't work but will get back to you.

Finally, a new release (r27944) is at ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/10-09-2015-r27944/buffalo_wzr-1750dhp/
HOWEVER, it has broken the 28MB barrier and bricked my routers, is someone with the knowledge on unbricking the 1750 willing to also try r27944 for me and confirm if it bricks their router please?

I have a worrying feeling we are going to hit a wall like we did with the G450H thread... Hopefully it will just be a bad release though...

DaveTheNerd

• Calf
Finally, a new release (r27944) is at ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/10-09-2015-r27944/buffalo_wzr-1750dhp/
HOWEVER, it has broken the 28MB barrier and bricked my routers, is someone with the knowledge on unbricking the 1750 willing to also try r27944 for me and confirm if it bricks their router please?

Yep. It bricked mine, too, and I had to do the whole serial cable thing to unbrick it. A ticket has already been filed: http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/4882