Author Topic: (Solved) LS441D - Can't Recover RAID 5 after replacing HDD  (Read 4943 times)

ivan.wong

• Calf
(Solved) LS441D - Can't Recover RAID 5 after replacing HDD
« on: June 25, 2015, 03:19:22 AM »
Hi all,

I'm a new comer to the forum and would like to seek for help for my new LS441D that I purchased recently. I'm using 4 x 2TB HDD and configured to RAID 5, recently I've replaced one of the Seagate HDD due to some error, but it seems that I could not Recover the new HDD back to the current RAID 5 array. The Recover RAID is grey out and I can't do anything. I formatted my new Seagate HDD from the LS441D Advance Settings - Drive after putting into the HDD slot and power up.

Can anyone share the correct way of recovering my RAID 5 array? The LS441D able to detect the new HDD as a new drive now but I can't get it back to my RAID array. Appreciate very much for any helpful advice!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 07:48:04 PM by ivan.wong »

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: LS441D - Can't Recover RAID 5 after replacing HDD
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 07:33:07 AM »
if you format the disk then the space used on the new disk is less than the space needed to recover the RAID. Remove the disk, attach it to a PC, remove all partitions -> Put it back into the LS, reboot it then recover the RAID. DO NOT format it va the admin page.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

ivan.wong

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 09:27:14 AM »
Thanks for the sharing! Will try it out if it works.

ivan.wong

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 11:19:25 AM »
Hi,

after trying to delete the volumes on the disk I can see the new drive as "Unformatted". The size of the disk is the same as the rest of others. The Rediscover RAID Array button is active now but this lead to another problem, there is a message of "A system error occurred. Reboot the LinkStation and try configuring it again" pops up whenever I pressed the Rediscover RAID Array button. I did try to reboot the LinkStation for few times but still no luck.

I don't know where went wrong now...

ivan.wong

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 11:39:57 AM »
It seems the LS441D is not recognizing the HDD after removing the previous partitions. How should I go about now? Can anyone give me a hint? My RAID is running at Degraded mode...

and the error message whenever I click on Recover RAID Array button

Anyone have any ideas?

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup

ivan.wong

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 11:16:36 AM »
Diskpart worked like a magic! Thanks! My RAID 5 is back!

mothball

• Calf
Re: (Solved) LS441D - Can't Recover RAID 5 after replacing HDD
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 05:42:25 PM »
FYI THE LINK FOR THE DISKPART FIX IS NO LONGER VALID - YOU REALLY SHOULD PIN THE CLEAN DISK - MAKE IT UNINITIALIZED STEP AS A TROUBLESHOOTING STEP FOR THE RRAID 5 RAID RECOVERY/DISK REPLACEMENT PROCESS - YOUR MANUAL ENTRY STEPS FOR THE LS441D SERIES IS SORT VAGUE ON THIS - SPEND A GOOD 6 HOURS F'ING WITH DRIVES AND SYSTEM ERRORS AND ALL THAT WAS NEED WAS A SIMPLE STATEMENT THAT THE DRIVE YOU USE TO REPLACE MUST BE THE SAME SIZE OR GREATER AND, AND IT MUST BE UNINITIALIZED OR THE RECOVERY/REBUILD WILL FAIL. COME ON PEOPLE MAKE EVERYONE'S LIFE A LITTLE EASIER 

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: (Solved) LS441D - Can't Recover RAID 5 after replacing HDD
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 05:45:41 PM »
could you post a link to the page with the bad link so they can fix it?