Author Topic: WZR-1750DHP and DDWRT firmware.  (Read 16115 times)

Leonard

• Calf
WZR-1750DHP and DDWRT firmware.
« on: June 23, 2015, 08:46:56 PM »
So my first good router was the buffalo wzr-hp-g300nh2 and it was a router that never dropped any signals and worked well for 3+ years. On the ddwrt forum they requested some testers for newer versions of the ddwrt firmware and i decided to accept the request. Five or so new versions, beta, worked well then i came to the sixth version from ddwrt and it bricked the router. I was warned that this could happen so it was to be expected. So the other routers could not use ddwrt so i decided to get another buffalo router for ddwrt. Now i know this router, the WZR-1750DHP, was not advertised as a ddwrt router but the router's specifications was just too good to pass up for US$120.

I recently tried to flash the listed ddwrt firmware which is listed on the ddwrt site but "invalid firmware" was the message i got. Now i didn't know that if you updated the router with the buffalo 2.27 new firmware that you would never be able to get any professional firmware on the WZR-1750DHP. So i am stuck with the 2.27 firmware i guess. Now the router is functioning like advertised and i get a very strong signal 50 feet from my house and then it drops in signal strength which is to be expected.

First issue i encountered was the QOS page appearing white and later i found out, from buffalo americas youtube channel, that it was ad blocker plus that was causing this, so that was solved.

Now here comes two issues i have encountered that i have not been able to work out.
  • If i enable QOS on the home page then i click on the Network Devices tab next to the BACK tab then click on my device i see that Priority Control QOS is off and if i try to choose any of the choices from the drop down box i see and click APPLY i get an "Invalid Input" error message
  • Secondly, if i try to enter a manual entry for the QOS that works but i can't put more than one protocol per software name. What i mean is for MW3 you have TCP and UDP ports that need to be put in but i can only put either the UDP or the TCP only not both and this goes for other games as well

Am i doing something wrong? Will this be fixed? Will you find a way in your hearts< Buffalo America, to allow us to flash DDWRT firmware on this beast of a router?

Come on guys this router is way too good to be stymied. I have no problem if i void my warranty as long as the professional firmware can run without bricking the router. At the very least, put forward a firmware that has DNS caching and a SPI quality or greater firewall which can handle commands.

From a happy Buffalo customer who will purchase from you again.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 08:48:28 PM by Leonard »

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: WZR-1750DHP and DDWRT firmware.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 03:07:02 PM »
Leonard,

Unfortunately it's not up to Buffalo to create a DD-WRT firmware that will work. I expect that DD-WRT will get a firmware out there that will work on this router with the current firmware, but it's not there yet. There is a factory DD-WRT version of that same router, the WZR-1750DHPD.

Leonard

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 07:47:34 PM »
Leonard,

Unfortunately it's not up to Buffalo to create a DD-WRT firmware that will work. I expect that DD-WRT will get a firmware out there that will work on this router with the current firmware, but it's not there yet. There is a factory DD-WRT version of that same router, the WZR-1750DHPD.

Yes i do know that there is a DDWRT router like the one i have but the thing is i already bought this one and i really like it too and i also know the it is not up to Buffalo to create a DDWRT firmware but the 2.27 buffalo firmware stops any flashing on the WZR-1750DHP to DDWRT. It is even stated on Buffalo Europe, Middle Ease and Africa site.

Do you have any tips for the two issues i stated?

JacobD84

• Tatanka
  • Bringin the DD-WRT.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 04:42:42 AM »
Hi Leonard and all,

I have started a similar thread to my much supported G450H community firmware but for the Buffalo WZR-1750DHP / Buffalo WZR-1750DHPD here:
http://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=23045.0

Leonard, you should be able to update from 2.27 to DD-WRT Community if you use the factory-ddwrt bin files, not the webflash. Though please bear in mind this is a one way trip, once you move to DD-WRT you have to stick to either community or official DD-WRT builds

As with all these releases they come with the disclaimer that they are NOT OFFICIAL and that you should only update to fix something that is broken until Buffalo release their own official firmware which should always take precedent over Community work.

Basically; if it isn't broken, don't update.

I test all posted firmwares on both the UK/EU, US and Asian/Russian version of the Buffalo WZR-1750DHP / Buffalo WZR-1750DHPD before i post them to my thread so this should give some security to anyone using Community Firmwares that they shouldn't break your router unless you do something wrong or have dodgy hardware.

Take Care
Jacob
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 04:50:50 AM by JacobD84 »

Leonard

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 07:48:54 AM »
Hi Leonard and all,

I have started a similar thread to my much supported G450H community firmware but for the Buffalo WZR-1750DHP / Buffalo WZR-1750DHPD here:
http://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=23045.0

Leonard, you should be able to update from 2.27 to DD-WRT Community if you use the factory-ddwrt bin files, not the webflash. Though please bear in mind this is a one way trip, once you move to DD-WRT you have to stick to either community or official DD-WRT builds

As with all these releases they come with the disclaimer that they are NOT OFFICIAL and that you should only update to fix something that is broken until Buffalo release their own official firmware which should always take precedent over Community work.

Basically; if it isn't broken, don't update.

I test all posted firmwares on both the UK/EU, US and Asian/Russian version of the Buffalo WZR-1750DHP / Buffalo WZR-1750DHPD before i post them to my thread so this should give some security to anyone using Community Firmwares that they shouldn't break your router unless you do something wrong or have dodgy hardware.

Take Care
Jacob

Hello Jacob,

thank you for the information. I have tried to use the factory - dd-wrt as before i use the dd-wrt .bin but i get a incompatible firmware message when i do the flash and the router reboots into the stock buffalo v2.27 firmware. I have tried the 21676 and the v24 sp2 beta 24461 that is listed on the dd-wrt site from the router database with both of them giving the same incompatible firmware message.

My problem with the 2015 betas is that one of them, v26663 bricked my Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2. This is after using many different versions from the builds from 2014, the 2014s worked problem free.

Have you flashed the wzr-1750dhp from the stock 2.27 firmware to dd-wrt? It seems to be impossible to do so from the buffalo 2.27 frimware and as i posted in the previous post the Europe buffalo stats the same. By all reports i have seen is that yes some have been flashed but brick shortly after. There is a youtube video about some one flashing the wzr-1750dhp via some Korean stock firmware then to dd-wrt but i don't speak Korean so i would be stumped if i tried that. :) He never states if it was from the buffalo 2.27 firmware or other.

I want to flash my router from stock firmware to dd-wrt because the stock firmware lacks many of the usability and performance of the dd-wrt firmware. Someone mentioned that it is the difference of a local police force to say a spec ops team.The dd-wrt made my Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2 perform way better than a Linksys ea6500 which i had and the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2 only had a 400 CPU, i drooled over what i imagined would happen with the wrz-1750dhp. 

JacobD84

• Tatanka
  • Bringin the DD-WRT.
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 09:40:19 AM »
Hi Leonard,

Yes, i have successfully moved from stock v2.27 to r27435 using the firmware upgrade option with the factory-ddwrt release on my 1750 thread.

If you are having problems all is not lost; there are methods to decrypt firmware by using a hex editor, but as i'd breach forum T&C's by discussing any further all i can suggest is that you contact Buffalo tech support who have already assisted in helping people out privately from these forums (a search of recent threads will reveal this) in moving from 2.27 to other versions.

The more people who bother them with this issue would hopefully see Buffalo ultimately update their license agreements and revoke the restrictions (in an ideal world) so head to them first and link them to the threads where Tech Support have resolved the issue.

Also, bear in mind what may appear to be a bricked router, may not always be. I've had three people contact me in recent days and in all cases it just turned out to be that they hadn't A) changed the gateway IP from 192.168.11.1 to 192.168.1.1 or vice-versa before restarting their PC/LAN controller after a firmware update B) They hadn't selected "Reset to factory defaults" on update or C) They'd not used the right firmware (factory-ddwrt) in the first place from the ftp BETA site. Although from what you've said so far you may want to google "unbrick g450h" for a guide that can be applied to the G300 ;)

Hope this helps
Jacob

Leonard

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 12:34:47 PM »
I don't live in the US, i reside in the Caribbean so i doubt US support will bother to help me and i don't speak Spanish so that rules out Latin America.

I know about the hex editor but i have resigned from being the "mayor" of "codeville" and i don't mean the cross-platform :)

I also know about the de-bricking for the g450h and i have gotten from bricked to the part where the red diagnostic light is on a cycle and waiting to be flashed but you need a Windows XP machine for that and i am on Windows7 and i am way to busy right now to install VMware and then install my windows XP and continue with the flashing, maybe next year i will have some time. I think, am sure my bricking was do to the fact that i didn't revert to factory before a flash, i never do and yes i paid the price, no big issue there as i had that router for 3 years and i still have it for when ever i get around to finishing the de-bricking process.

From my time on the dd-wrt forums and different researches and not even here it seems, and i could be wrong, as if the factory-dd-wrt is the same file and only the firmware is different and i have tried a few factory-dd-wrt and all have generated a invalid file error message so you could understand my apprehension to using a beta firmware. I will be sure to check with you regarding any dd-wrt firmware versions i think i should try.

I am glad that you have started the thread dedicated to the wzr-1750dhp and DHPD and i will be sure to check on the progress regularly.

JacobD84

• Tatanka
  • Bringin the DD-WRT.
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 03:50:58 AM »
...but you need a Windows XP machine for that and i am on Windows7...

Some versions of Win7 (Ultimate for example) include a copy of XP by default already operational in the background, or simply requiring a 5 minute download and install of the appropriate VM.
I've done this myself a few times to get XP on a machine with windows 7 and it may be quicker than having to do it all manually if you have a version of Win7 with XP already there.

The difference between the factory to dd-wrt and the webflash releases is that the factory to dd-wrt release has already been decoded with a hex editor to allow flashing from buffalo to DD-WRT without any prior knowledge so i'm surprised this hasn't worked for you.

I'll look into it, now i know you are on a US router i can play around with mine by going back to 2.27 and then attempting to move accross to dd-wrt again with the factory bin. But TBH ive not had problems before. Im wondering if its possible there had been a minor update to the 2.27 protection as the dates and file size have changed on the website even though the version numbers remain the same; its some time since i downloaded 2.27.

Leonard

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 06:44:00 AM »
I use Windows 7 home.

I am using a US wzr-1750dhp or so i believe as i bought it from amazon.com itself.

I am not sure if the 2.27 version changed but i do know that some people are saying that they can't even re-flash an older stock buffalo firmware on the wzr-1750dhp after upgrading to the 2.27 buffalo firmware. I have also seen post on dd-wrt forum about signing into the wzr-1750dhp with a different admin name to get some sort of privileges that allows the reverting to an older firmware but that firmware is a Korean firmware and if i do that i would not know how to navigate so i am staying away from that one.

Be sure to inform me about your results when you are finished checking out the new 2.27 firmware, it would be much appreciated.

bard

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 08:05:55 AM »
Leonard, you are not alone in your experience, once you go to 2.27 you cannot use any other firmware.  In another thread Buffalo helped another user resolve this, but the technique was not posted.  I as you await a kind response from Buffalo.  I've purchased dozens of these routers, I really hate to have to switch brands after years of deploying cost effective products!  This sudden shift to locking you into a firmware line is very disappointing.

jameshogue123

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 07:24:35 PM »
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=ko&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fhwtips.tistory.com%2F320

Had to work around their directions.

http://192.168.11.1/cgi-bin/cgi?req=frm&frm=py-db/55debug.html

ID: bufpy

pass: otdpopypassword

Once you hit the link: with the firmware.html -- you are golden. This is specific to the 2.27 issue going back to dd-wrt.