Author Topic: ls-xl still in EM mode after firmware update  (Read 3072 times)

tuxtux

• Calf
ls-xl still in EM mode after firmware update
« on: June 22, 2015, 02:02:16 PM »
Hello,

I have a LS-X3.0TL and it just went into EM mode after a two years of use. nmap showed the device but no TCP ports were open. When I pulled the drive and checked the file system there were many errors corrected. I put the hhd back in the unit and powered backup and didn't have any change, still in EM mode. So I started to try to backup and replace the boot file in the boot directory. I never did get to finish this as the drive started showing IO errors. So that was the end of the factory drive.

Next I took a 1T WD green drive, erased all the partitions, and followed the factory restore suggestion at http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Restore_LS-XL_from_scratch I was able to connect via TFTP and run the LSupdater in debug mode and reformat the empty drive. But, it still didn't boot, and was just blinking the blue led. So when I connected the drive back up to my machine I could see the five newly created partitions. The first partition contained the boot files, initd.buffalo and others from the uImage.img zip. The second partition that was supposed to be root was empty. So I just unpacked the hddroofs.img and untared the file to /mnt, where i mounted the second partition. I just untared it because I had found it empty even after selecting the rebuild the root file system from the SLupdater in debug mode. Anyway, it still booted with just a blinking blue light. So I selected update boot, update kernel, update initrd and update rootfs and let it run. This takes and hour and the device then boot, but it just boots back into EM mode.

I've tried the above with the 1.65 and 1.70 version of LSupdater.exe without any success. Any suggestions?