Author Topic: 10,000 File Limit in Shared Folders?  (Read 1573 times)

timsoles

• Calf
10,000 File Limit in Shared Folders?
« on: May 27, 2015, 06:38:42 am »
I think I might be missing something obvious here but we are having a problem with our LS-WV2.0TL/R1 Firmware 1.68 which is used for security camera recordings.

We have eight cameras and 8 shared folders on the NAS for the recordings. The system has been working well for at least a year, but we recently failed to find an important recording. After further investigation we discovered that each shared folder is only holding 10,000 files, so the older files are disappearing.

This would also explain why the 1Tb NAS (raid) is only 30% full and not gradually filling up with the addition of the daily recordings.

I cannot see anything obvious in the settings, but can someone point me in the right direction as we need to get this fixed so no further recordings disappear.

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: 10,000 File Limit in Shared Folders?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 12:29:39 pm »
Out of curiosity I just tested this on an LS-WV. I was able to copy 11,000 files without a problem.

Some things to check:

Make sure you're on the latest FW version, 1.70.

Since these are recordings, I imagine that all the files are the same size. That means that a specific number of files will always equal a specific amount of space. In the camera systems I'm familiar with, each camera is assigned a specific username and logs into the NAS with that username. If that is the case, check to see if you have a quota set for the username that limits the amount of space used by each user. I suspect this may be the case, since with a quota set the NAS would advise the camera that it's nearing its quota and the camera would delete the oldest files.

Also, check the cameras themselves. With some cameras you can tell them to keep video up to a certain age, and in that case it will delete older video.

At any rate, there is not a 10,000 file limit. I believe that 10,000 files just happens to coincide with some other parameter set either on the NAS or on the cameras.

timsoles

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 06:06:04 am »
Thanks for your comments.

I've updated the firmware to 1.7 and there still seems to be no more than 10,000 files per folder.

We are using Y-Cam IP cameras, most of which are wired into our network. They only record when there is motion and the file sizes do vary. To double-check I have just compared 2 of the shared folders: 10,000 files 52.4Gb and 10,000 32.9Gb (a quieter area).

The NAS has a fixed IP address and within the individual camera settings there is a NAS Remote Path entered, for example: //192.168.1.160/Topshop with 'Topshop' being the shared folder name. For authorisation, the camera logs in using the NAS Admin. The default password has been changed!

Within the 'Topshop' shared folder the camera creates 5 sub folders: Record_Alarm, Record_Mobile, Record_Time, Snapshot_Alarm and Snapshot_Time. For our settings only the Record_Alarm sub folder is used and we have no problem viewing the MOV files using Windows Explorer and playing them using the default Windows media player.

I still think I am missing something obvious, but we still continue to see only 10,000 files in these folders, and that is a problem as the older recordings disappear.

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 09:43:47 am »
That is odd. I can say with a great deal of confidence that it is not a limitation of the LinkStation.

After some research I ran across this:

http://support.y-cam.com/kb/index.php?action=article&id=224&relid=7

It looks like it may be a limitation of the cameras themselves.

timsoles

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 10:26:43 am »
You are right!

I eventually found this on a Y-cam firmware update from 2010:

◾Added NAS recording support (CIFS/SMB only) with a file limit of 10,000 for video and another 10,000 for images per camera.

I will check next week to see if there is any later firmware revision that overcomes the limit.

Thanks for your help and glad to learn that it's not a Buffalo issue