Author Topic: Very slow data transfer on LinkStation  (Read 17010 times)

MRocka

• Calf
Very slow data transfer on LinkStation
« on: June 03, 2009, 10:04:54 AM »

I have the following config:

- LinkStation LS-QL/R5 series set up in a RAID 10 configuration.

- It is running firmware v 1.05.

- I have tried all of the ethernet frame sizes and have seen little to no change in the throughput.

- a non-managed Gigabit switch between the PC (with Gigabit NIC) and the Buffalo.

When I test an external USB drive I have, I get throughput of about 15 MB/sec.  The most I've seen from the Buffalo is < 4.5 MB/sec. I realize the RAID config slows down data transfer a little, but should I really expect transfer to be less than 1/3 that of a USB connected drive?

joe42

• Calf
Re: Very slow data transfer on LinkStation
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 04:27:10 PM »

Read/Write speed should be about 3MB/Sec on a 100Base-T network, and about 7MB/Sec on a Gigabit Ethernet network. This speed is limited primarily by the processor in the unit. A typical 1GB transfer should take about 5-7 minutes.

If you're exceedingly slow performance, the unit is likely going through a through check of the disk array. The units will do this if power is cut to them, or if you change the RAID array properties. A scan of the array can also be performed by going to "Disk Management," then "Disk Check" in the TeraStation GUI. 

MRocka

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 05:49:46 PM »

I find those numbers disturbing given the specs I was given at CDW.com before purchasing.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=1623683#TS

The data xfer rtes mentioned in that link only refer to the Gigabit NIC and 150 MB/sec hard drives.  Given that info, I expected to at LEAST get 30 or 40 MB/sec data transfer.  If that's the best it can do, why even bother giving it a gigabit NIC?  A GB NIC has a theoretical max of 125 Mb/sec.  The hard drives have a theoretical max of 150 MB/sec.  Did Buffalo really create a device that gets less than 1/20th of the advertised throughputs of its components and then claim that it would be fast enough to use for streaming media?  Check that link above.  It says "The in-built Media Server can stream content to DLNA compatible network televisions, PS3 or to a Buffalo LinkTheater in your living room."

If 7 MB/sec is the best we can hope for, we're going to have to return this drive.

centerpide

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 11:26:51 PM »

Hi all,

I may have found a workaround to improve on the speed of the transfer file. Please read below:

My Scenario

• I wanted to transfer my movie files from my current 1TB HD to the Buffalo Link Station Pro 1TB NAS as well. My method was via USB transfer (i.e - physically connection)

Complication

• The transfer rate was just far too slow. I was using the NAS Navigator software to manage the transfer process between the 1TB HD to the NAS. The transfer rate was far too slow (1.35 MB/s). 
  • Transfering a 700MB video file took me close to 8 minutes
  • I tried reading up the Buffalo tech forums for help but couldnt find anything helpful per se.

Solution

• I had set up webaccess on the linkstation and enabled access to both my shared folders (in the linkstation) and the 1TB hard drive (which was connected to the NAS - this appeared as USBDisk1)
  • I began transfering files via the webaccess interface (buffalonas.com/your-nas-name) 
  • It's abit tricky at first to do it, but once you get the hang of it it's VERY straightforward

Results/Outcome 

• I managed to transfer 8 directory movies (totalling approximately 5.38 GB) in under 4 minutes.
  • Perhaps there is some 'truth' in what the box says about having a 76MB/s transfer rate

Summary

• You need to have web-access set up to do this transfer
  • Transfer rates significantly improved when the transfer was done via web-access
  • I did not meddle or touch anything with my home router. Everything was just normal

Hope you found this helpful

If you need more information/help on setting it up, do drop be an email at centerpideatgmaildot.com

DavidHughes19

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 10:15:19 AM »

Hi Centerpide. Thanks for your instructions. It does seem to be working much more efficiently now. But I wonder if I can see the progress of the copy/backup in the way I can if I use Novastore. I think that when the job is finished it will say finished instead of running, but it would be ueful to see its progress. Any ideas? Again thanks for your very clear advice. I found it really helpful. David

jigarshah

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 09:33:35 AM »

I am little confused...How its possible that webaccess is fast and local access is slow ? NasNavigator will do transfer via local network..Webaccess will do via net ?

I am having same issue...I have 10/100 MBPS network....Linkstation MIni. I am transferring data from my Macbook to nas. I get max 900kbps...strange...

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 09:38:27 AM »

jigarshah wrote:

I am little confused...How its possible that webaccess is fast and local access is slow ? NasNavigator will do transfer via local network..Webaccess will do via net ?

I am having same issue...I have 10/100 MBPS network....Linkstation MIni. I am transferring data from my Macbook to nas. I get max 900kbps...strange...

and if you connect the LS directly to a PC and set a static IP address on the NIC of the PC what transfer speeds do you get?

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

DavidHughes19

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 09:51:56 AM »

I might be wrong but I assume that using the local network, the data is routed through your PC. So if you were to close down your PC the copy or backup would stop. It seems that using the webaccess option, you set in motion direct communication between the NAS and the external USB drive attached to it. You could then shut down but the process between the drives would continue. It wouldn't be routed through your or another computer. Is that right, anyone?

David

DavidHughes19

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 09:55:21 AM »

Davo, do you know? I am using web access/system/backup to copy files from external usb drives to the NAS. It says 'running' on the interface and it will say completed when it is completed. But is there a way of actually seeing the progress of the copy in the same way I would be able to if I was using novastor, for example?

Just wondering.

David

jigarshah

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 09:10:58 AM »

I think its little off the track but I am not trying to copy from usb to NAS. I am trying from local computer to NAS with wireless....Also its not just write...Even read is slow...I will try directly connecting to Pc with cross-cable.