Author Topic: Restore boot on TS-QVH8.0TL/R6  (Read 13564 times)

trav1856

• Calf
Restore boot on TS-QVH8.0TL/R6
« on: April 12, 2015, 07:43:56 PM »
hello all,

I've searched high and low for an answer on this, and the support people were of no help.

I have a TS-QVH8.0TL/R6 that a former employee took the drives out of and threw them on the ground rendering them unrecoverable.

So, now I'm faced with a NAS box that I've had to replace the hard drives, but no way to get a boot image onto those hard drives.

Any advice would be extremely helpful.

Perhaps is there a way to take the firmware image and deploy that to a USB drive to make it boot? Then flash the system to the hard drives? Support is of no help. Have searched the forums and I'm finding nothing to rescue a TS-QVH8TL/R6

Thanks in advance.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Restore boot on TS-QVH8.0TL/R6
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 09:50:32 AM »
What did support say? They should be able to provide a boot image.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

trav1856

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 08:47:43 PM »
"We don't support a TFTP boot because it doesn't have one"
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 02:53:03 AM by trav1856 »

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 11:13:30 AM »
Of course it has one, what support region said it doesn't?!
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

trav1856

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 10:42:21 PM »
This particular model does not have a TFTP mode. It has simply a boot from disk and a boot from USB mode, that's it...the button under the LCD is the Reset button. Unless there's something about this Atom PC in a Buffalo box.....I'd appreciate any insight.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 09:13:50 AM »
Again, what support region told you this, they should be able to supply a boot image.

arem

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 10:35:00 AM »
I was told the same exact thing when I called about a TS-XE4.0TL/R5
It has lost boot image and we couldn't restore it, so I had read about a TFTP fix.  Not being a networking or TFTP expert, I called for an image and instructions on how to use it.
The "supervisor" I spoke with said there "might" be an image "out there on the internet" but they would not provide it (this guy claimed that buffalo didn't make it, some hacker types did), or provide any support for restoring using that method, and that essentially I was SOL, there was nothing they could or would to do help me.  The box has since become a great paperweight.  Thanks a lot Buffalo.  Great customer service.  I may end up just buying a second one, and using it steal the boot image by replacing a disk or two, then returning it once this one it up and running.  The fact that this has to even be considered speaks volumes about buffalo.  Never again will I buy or recommend their products. This was in the US.

trav1856

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 02:36:31 PM »
The frustrating thing is that we can just as easily run FreeNAS, Xpenology, (probably even a Synology image), Nas4Free, or any other solution...you would THINK that Buffalo would want to keep their customers happy...but I'm thinking this is the last Buffalo device I will have purchased.

trav1856

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 02:37:55 PM »
Again, what support region told you this, they should be able to supply a boot image.

What do you mean what support region? The United States?

...and they would not supply a boot image.

Or maybe being American, they're too stupid to realize that they should've escalate the case, instead of just saying no? I don't know.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 02:51:32 PM »
I can supply a boot image / TFTP for both devices, give me a day.

trav1856

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 03:13:35 PM »
You sir, are a beautiful man....

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP

trav1856

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 02:33:06 PM »
So I'm clear:

We use a USB creation tool and apply everything in the subdirectory for the boot image? Or we can boot from the ISO as-is?

trav1856

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 02:35:36 PM »
nm...answered my own quesiton, opened it in a VM. This is lovely. Thank you.

trav1856

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 06:00:35 PM »
Serigo with Buffalo USA support was a real clown on this issue. I think he was just being lazy.