Author Topic: Buffalo DriveStation HD-CX500U2-EU Hard drive replacement  (Read 2378 times)

Elect

• Calf
Buffalo DriveStation HD-CX500U2-EU Hard drive replacement
« on: March 31, 2015, 05:43:08 AM »
Hi,
I've recently had problems with this Buffalo DriveStation 500GB HD-CX500U2.
Unfortunately the Samsung 500GB hard drive inside had developed bad-sectors and I've a major work recovering my data even with the encryption function disabled.

The Buffalo box is correctly working and let me access to the (factory installed) Samsung hard disk beside the bad sectors.

Since I've successfully recover my data, I tried to replace the hard disk to keep Buffalo external USB box but unfortunately the new hard disk (Western Digital 500 GB) isn't correctly detected by the Buffalo external USB box and won't let me initialize the new hard disk or format it, a message pops up saying something like "drive its not ready".

I've then use another hdd dock unit and connected the Wester Digital 500GB... All its Ok here, I've initialize the new Harddrive and successfully create and format a partition using this other hdd dock.

But even this way, when I install the Wester Digital hard disk to Buffalo USB box it still wont let me access the harddrive, and also that little (CD) unit that have the built in buffalo software also won't show any content and report as RAW in Windows disk manager.

If I reconnect the Samsung hard disk to the Buffalo box the small (CD) unit will show OK with content again and Samsung hard disk its accessible.

I've also try use Macrium Reflect software to make a image of Samsung hard disk (using Buffalo USB box) and recover it to Western Digital hard disk (using the other dock).

It seems that there's some encryption built in the Buffalo box relating it to the Samsung hard disk that wont let me replacing it with the Western Digital hard disk and makes the Western Digital being detected as not initialized and unknown at windows disk manager besides that's not the case if connected to other hdd dock.

Can someone help me? Is there some firmware I can use to make the Buffalo USB box accept the Western Digital hard disk?

Regards.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 03:33:06 AM by Elect »

Elect

• Calf
Re: Buffalo DriveStation HD-CX500U2-EU Hard drive replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 03:38:00 AM »
I know warranty is void if the hard disk is removed, but in this case warranty have already expire and I would like to replace the faulty disk to seize the Buffalo box.

Not a single reply with some solution?