Author Topic: Static Route on TeraStation - 2 subnets/gateways  (Read 2867 times)

robertk

• Calf
Static Route on TeraStation - 2 subnets/gateways
« on: March 20, 2015, 12:54:09 PM »
I have 2 physicial locations with a TeraStation in each connected by a VPN.  Each location has 2 physicial subnets.  LAN 1 on each TeraStation is main production subnet and LAN 2 is backup subnet.  I want to do backups and replication on the backup subnets between the 2 locations.  The backup subnets are connected with the VPN.  I need to create a static route on each TeraStation to force the backup/replication data out LAN2 going through the gateway where the VPN is configured.  How can you create a Static route on the TeraStation.  If I could log in via SSH or Telnet I could do it, unless it is available via the GUI. 

robertk

• Calf
Re: Static Route on TeraStation - 2 subnets/gateways
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 04:16:23 PM »
I have talked with support and been informed that the TeraStation is not capable of physically separating the Backup/Replication traffic from the production data because both LAN ports must be on the same subnet.  With that configuration all traffic must go to the same gateway in order to get to the destination subnet, whether that subnet is local or on a VPN. 
My intent was to not put Backup/Replication traffic on the same subnet as my response time sensitive traffic. 
Buffalo needs to update their marketing data to specify that these NAS devices are not intended for business environments with more than one subnet. 
I intentionally chose a NAS with Linux for that kind of flexibility, but was informed that it is not possible in the kernel they are using, or they jsut don't know how to create a static route. 
I'll be returning these units to my supplier and purchasing a business class set of NAS devices. 

As3nd0r

• Tatanka
Re: Static Route on TeraStation - 2 subnets/gateways
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 06:57:53 AM »
My terastation are in different subnets with all backup/replication traffic going through port 2 and clients accessing via port 1, it's true that you can only have one gateway though. So the info that the different LAN ports have to be in the same subnet is wrong, they actually should never ever be configured like that as it will give the Terastation 2 IPs within one subnet...
Aspirat primo Fortuna labori
Me duce tutus eris