Author Topic: Issue - LS-QV8.0TL/R5 - HD 4 Light Off and LS Not Accessible - Help Needed  (Read 3146 times)

cumbrowski

• Calf
Hello There,

I have a 8 TB Linkstation NAS (Type: LS-QV8.0TL/R5) with 4 individual hard drives.

A few days ago, the NAS became suddenly inaccessible. After some checks, I noticed the LED light for Hard Drive #4 being OFF.
(Note: I turned RAID Off and use the whole 8 TB space in one logical volume)

Why, I don't know and need help with. The HD seems to be okay, it's spinning etc.
Just for the fun of it, I switched positions of HD #3 and #4 (putting HD #4 in slot 3 and HD #3 in slot 4).

Now all Lights go ON. However, the NAS remains inaccessible. I am not surprised, because The setup was one large logical 8 TB volume across all hard drives. Moving the drives around, certainly creates an issue for the software to re-create the logical volume from that).

• So what might be the problem?
  • What options do I have for trouble-shooting to determine the real problem and what components, if any need replacement?
  • I would be very upset, if all of the 8 TB of data would become lost, because of this.  If this is unavoidable, what suggestions do you have for attempting data recovery of as much of the content as possible?!

Any comments, suggestions and tips are appreciated.
My product warranty is long but expired. However, I am a long time Buffalo customer, having actually 3 NAS devices altogether here at home (1x 1 TB, 1x 2 TB and the large 8 TB NAS)

Thank you!
Carsten