Author Topic: Mix 7200RPM and 5900RPM on TS6-VHL  (Read 1508 times)

datapartners

• Calf
Mix 7200RPM and 5900RPM on TS6-VHL
« on: July 27, 2015, 03:33:49 PM »
Dear buffalo masters, I have a question about mixing spindle speeds in a Terastation 6 VHL 18TB.

The drives that came with it are NOT NAS grade drives (ST3000DM001) and since I have had 3 failures in 3.5 years, costing me many hours of time to interact with buffalo support to get replacements, as well as time spent doing rebuilds and restores, as well as down time, I removed it from production long ago.

Now I have a need to use this capacity as was intended for archive storage, and am very weary of continuing to replace these drives with the same model. Seagate DOES make a similar 3TB NAS model (ST3000NV000) that might be an ideal drop in replacement, except that they run at 5900RPM.

Seeing as this is the flakiest NAS unit I have ever encountered in my 20 year IT career, I think this would be a bad idea, unless I was to replace ALL drives. I know an enterprise class NAS unit would handle it in stride, but this is a buffalo we are talking about, so I was wondering if anyone here has tried mixing spindle speeds, or specifically using these drives as replacements for buffalo models that shipped with the desktop grade drives, and how that worked out for ya.

Thanks!

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Mix 7200RPM and 5900RPM on TS6-VHL
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 10:54:02 AM »
Mixing RPM on a RAID system is never a good idea!
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!