Author Topic: Not sure how to explain this issue...  (Read 5753 times)

«THÖMÅS®©™»

• Calf
Not sure how to explain this issue...
« on: February 21, 2015, 05:52:18 PM »
This is my first post so please bare with me as I attempt to explain my issue.

I have a Buffalo LS-QVLBCF NAS with a total of 16TB of storage on it with 4 x 4TB Seagate ST4000DM000-1F21 drives in RAID 0 mode.  The server is running firmware version 1.69.

I have been running this server for several months with the same drives in it with out any problems until around 3 weeks ago.

The Server says the drives are OK but this problem persists, and after doing a system reset to default settings, the issue is still present.  The YouTube video should explain the issue for me.

When I watch media from the NAS directly, the video/MP3 or whatever it is pauses for a period of time, sometimes up to around 30 seconds and then resumes.  I do not know what's going on or what could be causing this to happen.

Note that the issue that the video will show happens on all of my computers and my media player for playing my media on the server direct over LAN.  The server and network itself is 1Gb LAN, but the media player is only 100Mb LAN, and until around 3 weeks ago, I have not had any trouble and this is one that has baffled me and I am pulling my hair out to try and figure out what it is, the reason I am here asking.  Also, when I try to copy files to the server, after a while, Windows says that the location is no longer available and stops copying the files despite the network drive and server still being visible in My Computer.  Strange issue indeed.  Please watch the video that should explain the issue fully...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSw_65Rd8io

As you can see, the video plays just fine till the NAS acts up at 37 seconds in the video.  I just cannot seem to find a problem that is causing this to happen.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 05:58:58 PM by «THÖMÅS®©™» »

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
Re: Not sure how to explain this issue...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 09:21:28 AM »
Have you tried a different network cable?

Reboot the router?

Update Linkstation to latest firmware?

Reboot Linkstation?

During the video, was the linkstation doing any backups? or was there lots of data being written to it?
Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people

«THÖMÅS®©™»

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 01:46:31 PM »
I have already stated the the server has firmware version 1.69 which is the latest according to the Buffalo site.

The server as far as I know was not running any backups as they are disabled.  Tried rebooting the entire network so not the router or the server.  So in a nut shell:

Quote from: joma90
Have you tried a different network cable? Yes.

Reboot the router? Tried.

Update Linkstation to latest firmware?  Done.  Version 1.69

Reboot Linkstation?  Tried.

During the video, was the linkstation doing any backups? or was there lots of data being written to it?  No because backups are disabled.

joma90

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 09:01:53 AM »
hmmm.. You can try doing a factory restore on the unit. This will only wipe the settings, not the data. You can also try reseating the network cable if that hasnt been done on both to the unit and from the router. Or replace the cable. I know that sounds strange but I work with 100,000s of servers and reseating a network cable fixes more connection issues then replacing them. Replacing them is a pain in the ass but if it needs to be done, so be it.

my bad was ranting there

«THÖMÅS®©™»

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 11:07:10 AM »
I actually did the factory reset when on the phone to Buffalo tech support.  It made no difference...

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 11:51:24 AM »
Remove the Linkstation from the network. Connect directly to a gigabit PC, static IP on both and test to see if the same happens.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

«THÖMÅS®©™»

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 12:14:27 PM »
I have another NAS a D-Link 320L and tested that with the files and they play just fine.  That though was for testing purposes.

Its definitely the NAS acting up.  And still I am not sure why...

«THÖMÅS®©™»

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 02:12:53 AM »
Please read my first post again Sumer.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 09:43:41 AM »
NTFS partitions on a disk will work also, when the TFTP is run it will repartition the disk to 6 XFS partitions anyways. So it doesn't matter if there are no partitions or NTFS partitions on the disk.

Just make sure you have the correct IP set on the NIC of the PC, that you are using the correct TFTP image for your unit and that all security software is disabled.

Why are you copying my posts exactly?

http://forums.buffalotech.com/index.php?topic=20291.msg82645#msg82645
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

«THÖMÅS®©™»

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 06:39:48 PM »
??

joma90

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 10:02:56 AM »
Pretty much ignore sumer, seems like there either trolling or its a smart bot that grabs post from other topics and repost them. If you havent tried what Davo said, i say give it a shot. If the issue continues. For sure its the unit, If it does not, there's something from your pc to the linkstation that is causing the issue. Need to remove as many factors when testing.

«THÖMÅS®©™»

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 11:02:54 AM »
I know it's not my PC as it happens with all of my PC's

«THÖMÅS®©™»

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 10:05:00 AM »
I have tried all of the suggestions and nothing has solved the problem.  Now I am getting "There was a problem accessing [file name], the path is invalid" when I copy a whole load of files, the network drive is still visible and connected in My Computer when this happens, and the server is running all t he time.  This has not happened before!  Now I am getting frustrated and very angry...

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 01:10:01 PM »
Are the disks testing ok? Could either be a disk with a few bad sectors or an issue with the array itself.

«THÖMÅS®©™»

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 01:34:13 PM »
According to the tech Helpdesk, its a faulty unit.  Downloading the data overnight (if it doesn't pause while in progress) to be able to install the drives in the "new" replacement unit.