Author Topic: TeraStation Pro will not boot  (Read 25821 times)

AppCoal

• Calf
TeraStation Pro will not boot
« on: October 27, 2008, 08:18:37 AM »

As background info, I reset / rebooted one of my TeraStation pro's via Web Interface and got an e-mail confirming the shutdown and then the restart. I have not been able to access thru the Web Interface since. When the local network users tried to access data this morning, there was no access to the mapped drive. They powered the station down and it went thru the system shutdown. When powered back on, it went thru initialization but is stuck at the "System is Booting" status. Any ideas on what has caused this and how to resolve the problem?

The message on the display has now changed to "System Error - Can not laod KRNL"

Message Edited by AppCoal on 10-27-2008 09:17 AM

Stargeek

• Calf
Re: TeraStation Pro will not boot
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 12:04:01 PM »
   We are having the same issue this morning.  Strange coincidence it is on the same day?  Wasn't this weekend the old weekend for Daylight Savings?  Connected?

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 03:44:13 PM »

You can try EM mode by holding the INIT button in while the unit is booting.  or you can try the TFTP boot.

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&message.id=881&query.id=14098#M881

dja

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 07:26:24 AM »

Fine, but TFTP-Boot seems to be only for the newer devices as the TeraStation II or Live. Those problems here, that concern me too since tonight, are about the older TeraStation I.

If i try to boot to EM mode, the device says it will but then i even get the E04 Flash error. Because the network device does not start, i cannot connect toflash the firmware again. So whatcan i do to reanimate my TeraStation I?!?

Regards

dja

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 07:31:50 AM »
   To be added to my former post: If i am writing about "TeraStation I" i surely meen "TeraStation PRO I", the black one with the PPC...

fintanc

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 02:55:45 AM »

Hi dja,

Did you get an answer to this? I'mhaving exactly the same problems................

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 04:17:54 AM »

@ fintanc

Are you getting a "system error 04 cannot load kernal" message?? If so then its a problem with one of the HDD's, power down the unit and remove the 1st HDD, if it boots up then you know its a problem with that drive, if you still get the same message then power it down again insert drive one and remove drive 2 and repeat the process. Do this with all 4 HDD to see where the problem lies.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

dja

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 05:53:09 AM »

Don't know where you take your knowledge from but following Buffalo sources error E04 is a Flash Kernel error, nothing to do with HDD...

Just to add: With my TS pro I even tried to boot the system without any HDD to be sure that i boot from flash to EM, but in my case this did not work either. But it may be a completely other problem...

dja

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 05:55:24 AM »
   @fintanc: No, till now i did not get any answer, not here in the forums nor to my opened case at the support...

fintanc

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 06:14:23 AM »

@davo

The problem with that is that I can't get the box to boot with anything less than 4 drives in it. Don't know why. I couldn't even do a TPTP boot with less than 4 drives, nas navigator doesn't recognise the terastation at all.

I might se if I can get each drive into another PC and format each of them and start all over again :-(

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 07:39:54 AM »

@dja

Beleive me, i have been dealing with these units for years and have alot more experience than you, 99/100 if its an e04 error then its a HDD problem despite what the faq says!

@fintanc what is the exact error message you get when you remove the drives one at a time? do not remove 2 because the software raid needs at least 3 disks for the kernal to boot.

Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

fintanc

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 07:52:55 AM »

@davo; I'm getting either a E04 or a E00 MPU error (cant remember the exact text, will check later), its random as to which shows up.

If I try to boot into EM more, I just get the standard "booting into EM mode" message and it hangs at that point and goes no further.

I'll try removing the disks one by one later. If its as simple as a bad/damaged drive then it should be ok, I'll just format and re-flash; however the E00 message worries me. Any idea what that is exactly?

Appreciate your help, by the way :smileywink:

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 08:36:12 AM »
   If it is an E00 error then this means that the Main MPU (MIDI processing unit) is not responding in which case as far as im aware the unit would have to be replaced.

fintanc

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 09:25:11 AM »

crap. I bought it second hand with no disks, hence the TFTP boot, firmware updates etc etc.

And it was all going so well..................I'll check out the disks first anyway, maybe its that.

dja

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 12:01:48 PM »

Fine art, your post. Let me tell you i am working with several Buffalo storage solutions for years too. I really do not think that you can tell me from one or two postings that you have more experience than me, sorry, alot more...

So if you cannot proof your experience or you are unwilling to do, please don't annoy others with such my-is-bigger posting.

Back to topic: As long as you really proof it, E04 IS a Flash error, despite what you say! This has nothing to do with believe or not, only with facts. My TS does only come up with E04, with four drives, with three and without all drives. No normal operating, no EM.