Author Topic: LS410D0201 Constant Disconnect  (Read 11204 times)

erobinson44890

• Calf
LS410D0201 Constant Disconnect
« on: February 13, 2015, 08:07:00 AM »
I have seen this has been posted quite a few times.  The LS410D0201 disappears from NAS Navigator and cannot be accessed.  Yet, the device is still powered on.  I have noticed when this happens, it cannot be pinged either.  Connected directly by Ethernet.  No warning of when it is about to happen or after it happens.  It requires a Power Cycle to bring it back.  The Firmware was updated which seem to make the situation a little better.  Using a Buffalo WZR-600DHP2D as the Wireless Router.  I have tried looking through other threads but see no responses.  Someone at Buffalo please help!

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
Re: LS410D0201 Constant Disconnect
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 08:49:11 AM »
Will need a lot more info than this.

In what way are you using it when this happens?

Do you have backups running to or from the unit? Are you using time machine? DLNA? Bittorrent?

Are you using the sleep timer? What firmware version are you running? UPS Sync?

Do you have SMB2 enabled or disabled on the box?

If you do have backups running check your current backup target, make sure it's good, then disable backup for a few days to see if this changes anything. Do the same for any other functionality. This is not common behavior, so there is a specific way it's being used causing this to happen. Look for highly intensive write operations of small files that are being duplicated or run nearly constantly.
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**

erobinson44890

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 09:29:28 AM »

In what way are you using it when this happens?

-It is used in a small office environment with three Windows 7 Pro machines.  The machines have NAS Navigator2 Installed and this is how the employees access the NAS.  It is connected via 
   Ethernet

Do you have backups running to or from the unit? Are you using time machine? DLNA? Bittorrent?
    -No backups, Time Machine, nor BItTorrent.  The goal was to just make a centralized and ultra-private file storage unit.

Are you using the sleep timer? What firmware version are you running? UPS Sync?
      -I do not have the exact version but I do know it is the latest version.  Originally, I thought upgrading the Firmware would resolve the problem.  I am not sure of a Sleep Timer.  Not sure
        what UPS Sync is.

Do you have SMB2 enabled or disabled on the box?
     -I am not sure.  When I do check, should it be enabled or disabled?

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 10:29:28 AM »
In the GUI interface for the unit go to the advanced settings.

At the bottom of the menu, what version is displayed?

In the "File Sharing" section which share types are turned on?

In the "Services" section which services are turned on?

In the "Applications" section are any turned on?

In the "Backup" section what are the settings?

In the "Management" section what is UPS Sync set to?

Also in the "Management" section click on the icon to the right of "Sleep Timer" and check to see if any schedules are set.

TVX

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 06:37:56 PM »
I'm having the same types of issues with two LS410D units on the same network.

One is currently only a DLNA server.

The other runs BitTorrent and serves as the backup to my main backup unit (an older Buffalo drive) and as a backup for the DLNA server. I also use it for video file conversion - the file to be converted and the converted file are stored there while another machine on the network does the conversion.

The DLNA server will randomly quit serving. Sometimes I can reconnect to it immediately (using Roku), sometimes it takes a few minutes for it to come back up. The Roku and the rest of the network is hardwired - NOT using wireless. Sometimes the Roku reports file corruption as the error, but when it comes back up the file plays fine. The units are all set to static IPs (MAC binding on the Roku).

(I have eliminated the Roku as the issue, I have 2 different Roku versions, both on static IPs and neither using wireless, and DLNA failure happens with both and in the exact same way.)

The BT/backup unit does the same thing - randomly goes offline. It sometimes happens during backups. It sometimes happens when files are being accessed or moved. It sometimes happens when a video is being converted. There is no pattern. Sometimes I can convert videos for 12 hours straight before it quits, sometimes 10 minutes. Sometimes there's nothing going on at all and I try to connect and it just isn't there. Keep in mind I don't have something like video conversion going all the time on this unit, just sometimes, and even then the box that handles that is running an old 100 mb (not gigabit) network card so it isn't like there's a lot of traffic going to/from it in any case. It should be perfectly capable of handling 1000% of the traffic I throw at it, and there are no other users on the network.

Both units are showing to be using firmware 1.34-0.95, although oddly the "check for update" doesn't seem to work because one was using outdated firmware for a long time and always said there was no update. Finally it said there was an update when I logged in, but I had been prompted to install the update to the other unit a full month prior and had logged in many times on both units. In any case, the firmware updates didn't solve the issue.

To answer your questions, on my units the following settings:
File Sharing: both running SMB, one also running FTP. No special users or groups have been set up.
Services: one unit running DLNA only, the other nothing
Applications: non-DLNA unit running BitTorrent only and only sometimes, other unit nothing
Backup: DLNA unit backs up to the BT unit (daily differential), otherwise nothing
Management: UPS sync off, sleep timers off
Also, frame size on the network lan settings are both set to 1500

These units aren't really doing anything special and aren't used as office file servers. They see very little traffic except for when videos are being converted or watched via DLNA, and even then it's only one user. Nothing special is going on with them, but they constantly and randomly have this same issue.

Since one is running some services/apps and the other is not (or neither is running it), and they're having the same issue, it would seem the following can be eliminated as issues:
1. backup
2. FTP
3. BitTorrent
4. DLNA
5. Users/Groups (not in use)
6. AFP (not in use)
7. Web Access (not in use)
8. USB Drives (not in use)
9. itunes (not in use)
10. Print Server (not in use)
11. DHCP issues on the network (not in use)
12. Time Machine (not in use)
13. Direct Copy (not in use)
14. Everything on the Management tab, I'm not using any of that stuff (sleep timer, ups sync, etc.)

These units have some kind of fundamental hardware or firmware flaw that is causing the issue. I really hope it's a firmware issue, I have 3 Buffalo units and these 2 have been nothing but trouble.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 06:46:33 PM by TVX »

erobinson44890

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 08:07:23 PM »
As was mentioned, I am having nothing but fits out of the one I sold.  The customer just informed me they get a notice about the latest firmware and to update.  I am going to do this tomorrow.  If it does not resolve the problem, I am going to have to honor my business commitment and replace the device.  I hope Buffalo will be willing to refund me!

erobinson44890

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 08:26:30 PM »
In regards to previous questions asked by Buffalo Team responding:

The only thing this device is doing is providing file sharing for three office employees on Windows 7 Pro machines.  All cloud services are shut off.  No bit torrent, no full machine backup (which was a future project), no media server.  It is never to be intended for such things.  It is pugged in via Ethernet to a Buffalo WiFi Router.  Power source is good-- no power failures.  NASNavigator is installed on the machines.  Also tried having it as a mapped drive in Windows.  NASNavigator will suddenly lose the box, the mapped drive will not connect.  The device has to be power cycled several times during the day.

TVX

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 12:13:58 AM »
I will add that both of mine are plugged into UPS, so no power issues either.

They act like what happens when you update a network card driver. The machine disappears from the network, and then usually comes right back up but sometimes requires a reboot. If you've ever had to update network card drivers on an office full of machines, you know what I mean.

They're acting like the network cards are resetting or something similar is going on.

Texturtle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 11:01:47 AM »
After the FW update make sure the unit is running version 1.34. If it isn't, then download the updater from the Buffalo website and update it manually.

If you continue to see problems and the unit is still under warranty then contact our technical support group for further assistance.

TVX

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 11:53:45 AM »
The firmware updates were done before, and the units are still having the same problems. That was stated above.

Any other suggestions or is that it?

Texturtle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 02:49:45 PM »
Since we have two different users posting responses in this thread, let me differentiate:

TVX: Looks like you're running FW 1.34 on both units. When a unit becomes inaccessible is it visible in NAS Navigator or can you access the GUI?

erobinson44890: I'm still not sure what FW version you're running. Can you please verify?

TVX

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 09:35:45 PM »
When it becomes inaccessible, the result varies.

Sometimes it returns to the network on its own within a few seconds.
Sometimes it returns to the network on its own in about 30 seconds.
Sometimes it requires a reboot.
Sometimes I can access the GUI, sometimes I can't.
A few times I've tried the GUI and the page comes up blank and won't load anything but the gray background, and refreshing doesn't help.
I don't use NAS Navigator.
Sometimes it will stay up for a full day.
Sometimes it dies again in 10 minutes.

Texturtle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 09:24:49 AM »
That's an unusual situation. I'd like to know if NAS Navigator can see the unit when this happens.

On another note there is a new FW posted today for the LS400 series units. The LS410 downloads section can be found here:

http://buffalotech.com/products/network-storage/home-and-small-office/linkstation-410

Give that a try and see if it resolves any of your problems.

TVX

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 01:32:05 PM »
Ok, I will update the firmware and report back. It's important to note that the units are still reporting that there is no firmware update from the GUI.

Also, when I was messing around in the GUI on my DLNA unit, I noticed that the attached device list had my Sonos speakers listed. So I unchecked them and tried watching something on the Roku. It made the DLNA unusable. It crashed and reset about every 2-3 minutes. I went back in and re-checked the Sonos speakers and it went back to crashing every 20-30 minutes.

I unplugged all Sonos components to see if it made any further change, but it didn't - the unit still crashed as before.

Updating firmware now...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 01:36:12 PM by TVX »

Texturtle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 03:14:13 PM »
The automated update from the GUI only looks at the main update servers. Those are not updated immediately when a new FW update is released.