Author Topic: Buffalo DriveStation is not detected.  (Read 8662 times)

Kendoro

• Calf
Buffalo DriveStation is not detected.
« on: May 31, 2009, 11:06:02 PM »

Hopefully I can get some help. My Buffalo DriveStation HD-CE500U2 was working fine a few days earlier and now it isn't being detected by Windows XP. I ran the Secure LockWare software to unlock the device on another PC (Windows XP as well) but an error message comes up:

It was not possible to communicate with the password input service

Error 2: The system cannot find the specified file.

The computer recognizes the drive as being connected (on the device manager), but the password input service can't find it. Nor can I get into the drive itself. I even tried uninstalling the program and re-installing it from the website, and I got this:

An encrypted device was not found.

I know there's an encrypted device there, but I can't make it see it. Help?

tanjl

• El Toro
Re: Buffalo DriveStation is not detected.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 10:32:36 PM »

1. Plug in your HD-CE500U2.

Right click on My Computer and go to Manage.

Go to Disk Management.

See if your 500gb harddrive is shown.

If it is then you have not formatted the drive after enabling Securelock.

Format it then check if you can see the drive.

2. Please make sure you do not have other drive/files encrytion software running.

Uninstall other encrytion services before installing Securelock.

Kendoro

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 04:39:10 PM »

Wait... wouldn't formatting the drive erase everything on there?

Isn't there like, a second option?

tanjl

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 02:10:17 AM »

Did you setup securelock on this drive before?

If you had setup before and had followed the on-screen guide, it would have told you that the drive would be formatted and all data would be gone before proceeding.

So did you had any data prior to installing securelock?

If so then all data have been gone by then once securelock has been setup. 

Kendoro

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 07:58:35 PM »

Here, just so no one's in the dark about anything, here's what I did.

Originally, I set up Secure LockWare on the drive, formatting it before proceding. After it was successfully installed, and everything was working properly, only then did I proceed to put my data on there. And for the past five months, I've had little to no problems with it. I don't think there's anything wrong with the drive itself, or at least I'm hoping, it just seems to be the fact that no other computer other than my currently broken one can access the drive.

tanjl

• El Toro
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 08:37:41 PM »

I assumed that the "broken" down computer is also using Windows XP.

Just a few points which you can ponder over.

1. Are both computers upgraded with the latest Windows Updates? Including SP 2 & 3?

2. Check if your new conputer have any previously-installed security programs. If its there, uninstall them.

3. Are you able to try on another computer, before installing securelockware, just plug in the Drivestation and see if anything pops up.

Kendoro

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 10:49:30 PM »

Yes, all computers are using Windows XP, with all the latest upgrades. (SP 3)

There are no previously installed security programs to my knowledge, and when I tried plugging in the DriveStation before installing Secure LockWare, it was the same story. It recognizes it in the Device Manager, but nothing else.

Kendoro

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 12:21:10 AM »
   Bumping as I still haven't found a solution to this problem.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 08:42:40 PM »
Does it recognize it in disk management?  If so what options do you have when you right click on it?

amg-x

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 07:56:56 AM »

Hi I am having the exact same problem, just imaged another laptop with xp to try and resolve the issue with still saying no encrypted drive found. Have you had any joy at resolving this as I do no want to format the drive!

Help!

Eaglesiii

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 01:56:26 PM »

Bump to this thread!

I am having the same basic problem, where I cannot access the drive unless on the computer I originally installed and encrypted the drive. It worked fine until I wanted to get a new computer but figured out that I am unable to access the drive through the Buffalo encryption software. I can however see the drive in device manager, safely remove device software etc., but no drive letter is given and I am unable to access the drive to assign a drive letter.

Anyone have any results with other computer or figure out what the issue is. I have had no resolve on my end other than setting up an Adhoc network to connect to the computer which allows access to the drive.

Things I have already tried:

Installing the exact same operating system (XP 32bit) my other computer and then installed the software from Buffalo first before connection.

DID NOT WORK.

Used someone else's computer with another windows operating system (Vista 32bit) and installed the software to the computer first.

DID NOT WORK

Tried my new computer with another windows operating system (Vista 64bit) and installed the software before attaching the device.

DID NOT WORK.

Things I have not tried but will try and hopefully post back my results:

Try Windows 7, both 32 and 64bit if there are different version

Lock the device on the computer which can access the drive with encryption program, BEFORE I safely remove the drive.

Any other thoughts of what I may try, PLEASE let me know by posting them here.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 02:37:46 PM »

Please see memorymans post in this thread regarding the encryption software and installing/using a new OS:

http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/Snow-Leopard-Secure-Disk-Tool-quot-Secure-Disk-Tool-software-is/td-p/18581/page/2

Kendoro

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 04:27:37 AM »

But... doing that would erase everything on the hard drive, and I can't do that. Or, I won't do that.

Please, there's gotta be some way to access this drive without deleting everything on it.

prometheus

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 03:13:27 PM »

tanjl

when I first bought my drives { 9550449031208HD-ce1.otu2} I placed on winserver 2003 and haven't been able to get the securelockware to work either-followed the on screen info, but I get the same message that other user gets. Would like to be able to use this as stated when purchased. My on screen did not suggest the drive be formatted either, just load secureware and such. What can I do to get this corrected? I mainly use units (2) as storing my daily file backup on it for restore later

prometheus

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 03:19:36 PM »

looks to me that the only answer is to reformatted our HD , but why won't the securelockware work SINCE we followed the correct procedures to have it installed on our system. Do not like idea that they (buffalo tech) are telling us to reformatted units-which will delete our data we tried so hard to protect with their products. how nice sorry to vent, but there has got to be better way to have this securelock to function properly