Author Topic: "Corrupted firmware" and "hard disks not found" red LED errors  (Read 4632 times)

s3cur3

• Calf

Hi all,

I had my 2TB, Non-Pro Cloudstor (CS-WX2.0/1D?) up and running for a couple days and was completely happy with it when using the NAS Navigator software. Yesterday, though, after moving it from one room to another, I started getting problems.

Whenever I turn on the Cloudstor, the stock hard drive starts making a clicking noise (a la the "click of death"), and I can hear the enclosure's fans spinning up and down in sync with that clicking.

With the drive in one of the two slots, the blue power light will flash for a bit, until finally I get the series of 7 red error LED flashes which the manual calls "E07 - a hard disk was not found?".

If I move the drive to the other slot, the same thing happens (clicking noise and power light), but I instead get 6 error flashes, which the manual calls "E06 - corrupted firmware?".

Installing the drive in a different computer does not produce the clicking noise, but neither Windows nor Mac OS think the disk is formatted (both offer to format it for me, which I really would rather not do!).

Ideas?

Thanks!

- Tyler

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: "Corrupted firmware" and "hard disks not found" red LED errors
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 11:09:05 AM »

Do you have a spare disk? You could try to put an upartitioned drive in there and try and use FAQ 3 of 5 to TFTP boot the unit and flash the firmware. If you do not have a 2nd disk get the unit to the point were it shows E06 and try the TFTP boot process. After the firmware flash you may have to do the TFTP application again for it to come up and finish flashing.

s3cur3

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 04:14:05 PM »

I stuck a different hard drive in there and  tried the TFTP procedure on two different PCs now. After about 5 or 10 minutes, the Cloudstor flashes the error LEDs for either "E16 - no hard disks detected?" or E06. The TFTP Boot program still says "accepting requests."

Putting the original hard drive back in (alone) and attempting the process gives me E07 in a much shorter amount of time, and still no change in the TFTP connection.

Might I need a specific subnet mask or default gateway to connect to the Cloudstor?

Thanks!

s3cur3

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 08:10:44 AM »

Hmm... I got through the TFTP boot following those instructions, but now the firmware updater refuses to update with the following error: "Could not confirm whether the partition exists. Cannot update the firmware. Firmware updating is aborted."

I suspect I need to check the box in the updater's Debug dialog box labeled "Rebuild partition table." Is this so?

I've confirmed my firewall is disabled, and I think I've modified the .ini file as needed. The last few lines are as follows:

[Flags]

VersionCheck = 0

NoFormatting = 1

[SpecialFlags]Debug = 1?

Thanks!

s3cur3

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 12:39:49 PM »

I've tried twice now with that other (2 TB, Hitachi-made) hard drive. Everything looked to be going well right up to the end, after it finished booting for what appeared to be the second time, at which point I got a "Failed to formatting. (0xFFFFFFFE) Updating is aborted." error.

As an aside, in Nas Navigator, it didn't appear to be in EM mode until after the failure--it looked normal, with no question-mark icon next to it.

Is it time to RMA the **bleep** thing?

Thanks,

- Tyler