Author Topic: LS421de - PULLED REINSERTED DRIVE FAILS! Error 32-E32- doesn't exist!  (Read 3278 times)

The_NPP

• Calf
SITUATION:
LS421de with 2 - 2TB HDs (1.81 TB true).  Transferred 181GB into drives (10%).  Manually copied data to both drives.  Both drives contain same data.  Drives are set up NOT RAID!  Do NOT want RAID.  Setup as JBOD.  First drive will be main network file location, the second drive will be a backup to the first and manually replicated from time to time.
If one drive or the unit fails, I want to have access to the other drive with little effort to recover the data.

EVENT:
Giving my new LS421de some final tests.  Both drives have same files on them.  Shut down device and pulled HD #1.  Restarted device.  Eventually HD #2 was accessible.  Shut down device.  Put back in HD #1.

PROBLEM!!!
System now tells me it cannot recognize drive #1!  That I must reformat the drive!!!  It give me a non-existent Error 32!!  (Three long blinks followed by 2 short ones.)  E32 is NOT listed in the owners manual!  I do not want to reformat this drive!  In theory it has all my files on it!
All I did was pull the drive, boot, shutdown, reinserted drive and booted again!
I tried it again:  I shut it down again.  Pulled HD #1.  Restarted, HD #2 is still functional.  Shut down again, reinserted HD #1.  Made sure it was firmly pushed in.  System STILL give E32 error (which does not exist) STILL insists that the drive be REFORMATTED!!  This is NOT acceptable!
Yes, it can see the drive but it will NOT allow anyone to access the data on it and insists it be reformatted.  The manual mentions a "rediscover disk" option, but that choice is grayed out.  It can see the disk, it just won't allow the disk to be pulled, turned on, turned off and reinserted the disk.  NOTHING was done to the pulled disk except to shutdown, pull disk #1 out, boot, shutdown, push disk #1 back in, reboot.
Are you telling us that if FOR ANY REASON we pull one of the drives and stick it back in we will NOT be able to access the data???  What if I want to store the drive and then later want to put it back in to restore old data??
I need a solution to this within 15 days or I will take it back to the store I purchased it from and buy something else.
I am already a little peeved it will only format in XFS, which means I cannot pull it and immediately use it in a Windows PC.
DOES anyone know how I can recover a pulled drive WITHOUT being forced to reformat it?
(A future test will involve pulling BOTH drives, booting, shutting down, reinsert drives, reboot and seeing if it insists I reformat both.  This will happen AFTER I pull the data from the drives!  After I have backed up the data I will be running further tests for 15 days.)
... Thank you.

rgarjr

• Calf
Re: LS421de - PULLED REINSERTED DRIVE FAILS! Error 32-E32- doesn't exist!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 04:49:52 PM »

Are you telling us that if FOR ANY REASON we pull one of the drives and stick it back in we will NOT be able to access the data???  What if I want to store the drive and then later want to put it back in to restore old data??

I have a similar situation on my LS421:

I had 2 drives in it in JBOD structure, so completely independent from each other.

I no longer needed Drive 1 so I shutdown and pull the drive out, turn it back on and now Drive 2 is only there.  Which is great so now Bay 1 is empty and Bay 2 has a drive. I'm able to access Drive 2 just fine

I shut down and pull out drive 2 from bay 2 and sticked it in bay 1, turn it back on and now the NAS won't read the data on it, it tells me it needs to format it. So I'm like well maybe it didn't like being moved from bays, so I shut it down and put the drive were it was.  Still does not recognize the drive, tells me to FORMAT it. 

Just ridiculous that the device does not read the data the drive and goes back to normal.  The data is still on the drive but the NAS won't allow it to be used or seen, WTF??

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 05:02:55 PM by rgarjr »

The_NPP

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 07:35:38 AM »
Someone reformatted my original post and I have to say it looks nicer.  Thanks.

Anyway, the problem has been resolved.  Here's everything I did and extra data in case it helps you:

Extra Data:
I could no longer see the device on the Network Devices listing in Windows 7 Explorer even though I could still ping the device and could access the interface via IE(/Chrome).
EVERY TIME I access the device through the IE interface, it said it had two (shared) folders (one for each drive), but Navigator2 still could not see the two folders -- yes, I refreshed and restarted the program often.

Steps I took in getting the drives back -- I don't know which one was the solution key:
I ran a Disk Check on both drives.  No extreme error messages but still didn't see any access.
I renamed one of the shared folders.  I did NOT delete and recreate the Shared folder.  (A future test?)
I renamed the shared folder listing back to the original name.
Brought the device to my main desk from the storage location where it usually operates.  In addition to having it plugged into my local switch I also plugged in the USB connection to my main PC.
... Oddly, the direct USB connection didn't register on my main PC.
Frustrated, I shut down both the device (I had done this multiple times) as well as the main PC I had it plugged into, said screw it and went to bed.  Basically I shut down the whole thing.
... I also sacrificed a young goat to the gods before going to bed if you think that might have been a factor.  The Gods seem to LOVE capretto.
Restarted the drive and after it came up, restarted the PC -- The drive enclosure was still on the switch as well as connected via USB cable to the main PC.
The status, according to Windows and accessing via IE was unchanged.

FINALLY:  Even though it was still not visible, I decided to run a direct "Map Drive" sequence through Windows Explorer.  That is, I Mapped the Folder as I would any existing, visible folder.
IT WORKED!  In addition to working, the network listings now show the device as well.
The next step will be to return it to the storage site and see if the access remains active.
I have removed the USB link and it is still active.

Things I did NOT do!!!:
I did not delete and remake the Shared Folder.
I did not remove and re-seat the drive!  In the past this has cause the system to (unexpectedly) reformat the drive.

I hope this information is helpful.  I honestly can't see anything other than the sacrifice that had any direct influence.
I think the Check Drive actions might have corrected the situation and next time I'll try mapping the drives after each step.

The_NPP

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 07:41:38 AM »
My apologies!  I thought my reply was on my post about not being able to access my LS421se.

I was gong to delete the post reply but then thought the information might be useful to you/someone.

I did have a separate post on my LS421se that people might find useful.