Author Topic: Terastation 3400 copy between shares transfer speed?  (Read 1668 times)

SlipStreams7

• Calf
Terastation 3400 copy between shares transfer speed?
« on: December 31, 2014, 11:57:46 AM »
Hello,

Could anyone give me an idea of what speeds I should expect when copying a file between shares on my Terastation 3400?  I am accessing it over the network but that shouldn't have an effect since it is copying a file to itself. If I copy/paste a file currently, the speed is anywhere from 5 mb per second to 20 mb per second. This seems really slow for copy/pasting a file into it's own directory.

Thanks for any insight.

-Brandon

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: Terastation 3400 copy between shares transfer speed?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 05:23:56 PM »
I assume you're doing a drag and drop from a Windows system. In that case, the unit does not copy the file internally, it actually moves the data to the Windows system and back to the second share over the network.

SlipStreams7

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 11:07:32 AM »
I had a feeling that is what was going on in. From a Windows machine is there any way to have it copy the files internally? Sorry for my limited knowledge on how NAS actually works.

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 03:42:06 PM »
Not that I'm aware of. It would require an API from Microsoft that expands the SMB specification.

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 04:24:40 PM »
You can also setup a backup job in the TS to back up your data from one share to another in the same unit. But fyi make sure you know what options you are choosing as the backup can either back up all the new files only or both copy new files that arent in that folder and delete files that arent for the source folder. I recommend making a whole new share and choosing the right backup options for you.

If you want a better explanation let me know.
Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people